Savage Axis II XP

VFLHunter

Ok guys im new to hunting and to his board so hoping to pick your brains a little bit to avoid unwise decisions in gearing up for my 1st deer season. Im looking for my rifle first and dont want to spend a ton of money until i know its something im going to be able to fully commit myself to. i am looking at a Savage Axis II XP 270 with scope. has anyone used this gun or would it be better to buy a rifle and a better scope. i know they dont put the best scopes on package guns

Thanks in advance--Chad

gtk

Staff member
bought the gun in .270 for my son.. Good shooting gun.. Scope that came on it was terrible at low light.. I replaced the trigger spring on his gun & put a travel stop on it, and the gun shoots great..

VFLHunter

Thanks, thats what i was afraid of with buying a package deal. May try and guy the gun without the scope and just put a reasonably priced scope on it

777rellik

Have one in 22-250 4x12x40 nikon..Killed 4 yotes and dozen deer so far.Boyd has some stocks to replace the weak factory stock. NEXT one will be 25-06 and thumble hole stock from Boyd stocks.

duckduck84

Wife got me one for my birthday a few weeks ago. I love it. Mine is in.308 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamMainStreet

I've got one in 22-250 also. I tightened the factory scope zeroed it and it's lights out. I guess the trigger could be a little better but I really haven't payed any attention to it. Can't go wrong IMO

TboneD

I know this is an old thread, but my nephew bought one in .308 and it doesn't group worth a crap. Just sayin', and I'm even a fan of Savage. My son has a Savage .270 and it shoots pretty good. However, it has a much better synthetic stock, so I suggested to my nephew that he invest in a Boyd's stock for his gun.

TboneD

catsbackr":uongk4is said:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Savage Axis.

True....as long as it groups. Unfortunately though, it seems that going by what I've seen, heard, and read on boards, the flexible stock is to often to blame for unacceptable shot groups. Many replace with a Boyd's and find that solves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grill-n-man

Savage 110 in 30-06 wood stock combo from wal mart back in early 90s shoots around 6 inches low at 275 yards with all 3 bullets still grouping tight. Savage 110 in 270 synthetic stock from Walmart around 2000 and shoots 3/4 inch groups with any scope that been on it. Savage .223 varmint bolt gun synthetic stock combo from Dicks sporting goods, yeah I know but they the only ones that had it, bought 2 years ago and shoots aound a 1/2" 5 shot group ( all factory hardware and bullets ) and last a muddy girl Savage Axis in 7-08 for the wife, 7/8" groups. Can't go wrong with a Savage as far as better maybe but pricer for the same performance yes.