Satellite communicator/gps device

scn

I hunt and scout by myself the vast majority of the time. While Stewart Co isn't the wilds of Alaska, it does have some steep and fairly rugged terrain. I have come to realize that with my age and some health issues that there may come a time when I need some help and don't have a cell phone signal. Add in being out of cell tower range down in the Gulf, and it seems to make sense for me to get a device that has satellite communication. Since I don't currently have a GPS unit, I want a device that will do both the communication and gps.

I am pretty much a Garmin person, but, will consider others. By getting some extra work days around Christmas, I have the purchase price set aside. Right now I am trying to decide between a Garmin GPS Map 66i and their InReachExplorer+. One is a touch screen, the other is buttons. I am not a very "techy" person, so ease of use will help.

Anybody out there that has any input for me on making a choice?

Thanks, Steve

Nsghunter

I don't have any advice about the satelite commuications but I use ONX hunt, it allows me to save offline maps for when I dont have service. This lets me use a map of the area when I don't have service. I can also use it to "mark" my map with different features such as bedding, scat, rubs ect.

Also, if your phone has battery it can call 911, it doesn't need to have service. Now, if by "the Gulf" you mean you're in the ocean, I don't know if it will call 911 from the ocean. I doubt it will.

I encourage you to get something, you matter to alot of people, i'm sure of that. These devices people call silly can easily mean that we make it home safe again to our familes, our children and out loved ones. Also, not as dramatic, but it usually means we can hunt further in, get out quicker and ultimatley have more time afield because of it.

LY

I use a Garmin InReach at work, not sure if they have more than one model or not. It works great for sending/receiving messages with no cell service, but there is a monthly or yearly fee and I have no idea how much that costs, so you may want to check into that before getting one.

The model I use is not touch screen, but once it's setup I only really use the on/off button. Everything else I do on my iPhone through their Earthmate app via bluetooth connection. Using my phone is much easier as the screen is much larger than the gps screen and reading or typing out messages or entering coordinates is much easier than doing them on the gps unit itself.

An added bonus is that when you do have service, cell or wi-fi, you can download quad maps and aerial photos of any coordinates you have entered onto your phone limited only by your phones memory. Then later if you have no service you can still view the map or photo and it even shows your position and track on the map or photo, it's also easy to switch back and forth between the two.

One con is that it uses a rechargeable battery and not AA's like other models. I use mine for up to 8-10 hrs a day and it'll still lasts several days. You can also use a battery pack to recharge it and your phone in the field if needed.

mike243

911 at 1 time was supposed to be abled to be used by any cell phone across all the carriers, but no signal showing it would be worth a try, cant hurt anything but don't bet on it working, there's places in Knoxville/knox county that has no service

ttf909

I hunt and scout by myself the vast majority of the time. While Stewart Co isn't the wilds of Alaska, it does have some steep and fairly rugged terrain. I have come to realize that with my age and some health issues that there may come a time when I need some help and don't have a cell phone signal. Add in being out of cell tower range down in the Gulf, and it seems to make sense for me to get a device that has satellite communication. Since I don't currently have a GPS unit, I want a device that will do both the communication and gps.

I am pretty much a Garmin person, but, will consider others. By getting some extra work days around Christmas, I have the purchase price set aside. Right now I am trying to decide between a Garmin GPS Map 66i and their InReachExplorer+. One is a touch screen, the other is buttons. I am not a very "techy" person, so ease of use will help.

Anybody out there that has any input for me on making a choice?

Thanks, Steve

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

huvrman

Garmin inreach mini. Has all the features you need. You can even give your family and others a link to an online map that shows where you are at all times and plots your track. I used it as I trained for and began a hike of the Appalachian Trail.

Safari Hunt

Check out the SPOT device. Works off satellite and works anywhere. I think it is sold by Bass Pro. Might check for other retailers.

AT Hiker

I suggest researching this topic in well know Western hunting forums. You will find detailed information from outdoorsmen from Alaska to Mexico Who spend a lot of time in the wilderness.
My Colorado friend has a SpotX Messenger.

swd

Also, if your phone has battery it can call 911, it doesn't need to have service.
I am not so sure this is accurate.

A phone does not have to have paid service or a calling plan to make 911 calls. That is true and has been going back to at least the mid 90's.

No service meaning no towers in range (usually). It MAY be possible that an AT&T phone with no reachable tower could get 911 service on a Verizon tower in the event of an emergency IF and ONLY IF it has radios compatible with Verizon built in.

Not trying to start any guff. I would just hate to see someone endanger themselves on incomplete information.

All that said, I am going to get the Garmin InReach. That was the device the folks I hunted with out West this year used. They spend months off grid. If that is the choice they make, it must be good enough for me.

Latest posts