salt

KPH

Is there any reason to put out salt this time of year I have keep my licks pretty well supply scene last spring, but was thinking about freshing them up one last time.

catman529

I put 50 pounds in the spring or early summer every year. Only once per year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

JCDEERMAN":2gz6qs4z said:
Not really. It just serves as place for inventory of deer for the most part. Once a year for me too
yep it's mostly inventory but I have shot a couple of deer at a salt lick as well

JeepKuntry

i put a couple blocks out mid August. That is the latest I ever have. I mainly did it to get an idea of what might be in the general area. Last year things were off pattern wise so I put small blocks from TSC out. They were $2.50 each.

FTG-05

I put salt and mineral blocks on stumps I want to get rid of, but don't feel like renting a stump grinder to get rid of.

Sort of a double duty kind of thing.

megalomaniac

Licks need to be freshened once a year. If you haven't freshed up your lick earlier this spring or summer, it is def worth it to put 40 or 50 lbs down now.

Bucks will quit hitting licks any day now. Does will hit them periodically all fall and winter,, but use seems to really pick up by them in spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

catman529

megalomaniac":10i46qqg said:
Licks need to be freshened once a year. If you haven't freshed up your lick earlier this spring or summer, it is def worth it to put 40 or 50 lbs down now.

Bucks will quit hitting licks any day now. Does will hit them periodically all fall and winter,, but use seems to really pick up by them in spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
depends on the location really. One salt lick on a creek bank gets periodic visits from bucks year-round. Some sites go almost dry during season. Just depends on location and deer herd.

Andy S.

Agree with mega, my salt licks are ignored/useless after September, and usually pick up again in June the following year. 25+ years of salt and observations and nothing has changed in my neck of the woods. I suspect this is the case with most salt licks.

Headhunter

I keep trophy rock out year round. Some places it is used, although less in the fall and winter, but still used year round. All of the trophy rock I put out gets hammered starting about February and used well until varying times in the fall.

I keep approx 25 different sites going with trophy rock in 2 different states.

catman529

1 good shot":3ekbfkrj said:
deer pretty much quit using them when they don't have green stuff to eat
there is green stuff for them to eat year-round in Tennessee.

Southern Sportsman

A couple of my licks get mostly abandoned around October. But my two best (one on the edge of a clover patch and one among a stand of swamp chestnut oaks) get a lot of use year-round. I can only assume that most deer quit going out of their way to hit salt licks when fall gets here, but if they are in a spot deer tend to frequent anyway, they (does and bucks, including mature bucks) will still help themselves when they find themselves standing next to a well-established lick.