Deer using salt

rsimms

I put out a commercial "Trophy Rock" in a field in front of my house. I saw deer on it some when I put it out back in the summer. But since Fall arrived it has gone virtually untouched. However, I have always been told (by biologists) that salt/minerals are much more sought-after in the late winter and early spring... in part because bucks instinctively know they need minerals to aid antler development. And all deer need an extra "boost" when they're coming out of a lean winter. I'll definitely be beefing up my salt/mineral spot in February to see what happens.

chart1300

They will use mineral again after the second rut. That's probably the the most important time to keep mineral out. They are run down and need to rebuild. I put a lot of mineral to them from January - September.

Hookem

I have tried a variety of mineral licks. You might try to do three or four different minerals in one close area and see what the deer are wanting most in different seasons of the year. A well place trail camera or two will also provide you with some great feedback. You can also do this with the mineral blocks out of season that have grains in them. Seems a little foolish that they can't be used year round but hey, that's Tennessee and TWRA's call.

1baddeer

I thought that most of my mineral licks seen heavy action this summer and fall. I manage and own 1700 acres and have 19 mineral licks on my property . Salt has 2 basic uses for deer and livestock water retention and a means to deliver the minerals they need. I few hints I can share as some of my mineral licks have been with me for over 20 years. What I have learned is they will not come and just eat a pile of salt or lick the blocks they will wait for them to melt and leach into the soil and will eat right in the spot a block or mineral is in. I have had some pet young deer /bucks and mix minerals into there feed but add salt,. molasses, high Mag cattle, goat, and dicalcium phosphate. they are extremely bitter, the salt is your cover for the minerals. I broadcast the same ingredient's into the mineral lick in smaller amounts 5-10 lbs each then cover with 50 lbs of white , brown mineral salt and dry molasses. Once done I use a mini rototiller and mix into the mineral lick mud or dirt. Feb or early March is my preferred time. Years of success and have been able to experience the difference in horn size it is truly amazing. My herd is very healthy and large, both does and bucks. Be carful with the goat minerals can be toxic if given directly the copper for one is much higher then other livestock. The goat mineral helps kill internal parasites, worms and I have seen a large reduction in ticks on my deer. Remember we cant change genetics but a well fed healthy deer lives longer and grows bigger. I have been a whitetail outfitter in TN for years and my farm has been set up for this purpose only over the last 25 years.. Hope this helps some of you out.
www.horsecreekfarmstn.com

BSK

It's all about resource need. Animals (including humans) are driven to consume the resources they need most. Salt and mineral needs are highest in summer, especially late summer for bucks. Salt/mineral needs are lowest in winter.

Monk74

My experience is with warm temperatures and spring growth mineral consumption goes up. Doe's need minerals for developing fawns and milk production. Bucks, obviously for antler growth. Research says increased moisture content in browse basically causes deer to pee out many minerals. Same ole mixture for me. Absolutely no doubt in the results. 1/3 loose white salt,1/3 trace mineral salt,1/3 di-calcium phosphate. Throw in a crushed up selenium block if ya like. Deer farmers swear by it. When ya see chalky 1 inch spikes on fawns with spots, something is working. Good luck.

BSK

I've stopped making salt licks. Although CWD isn't in my area yet, it will be eventually. Salt licks are definitely a prime location for spreading saliva-vector disease.

JCDEERMAN

I've stopped making salt licks. Although CWD isn't in my area yet, it will be eventually. Salt licks are definitely a prime location for spreading saliva-vector disease.
Interesting - what other method have you found for getting a good summer census of the bucks in an area?

We haven't stopped using salt yet, but plan to when it gets a little closer to us (maybe when it crosses the TN river.)

BSK

Interesting - what other method have you found for getting a good summer census of the bucks in an area?
Honestly, I don't anymore. Although it can be interesting to see which bucks are residents and which show up after they shift from their summer range, what is most important to hunters/managers is the "manageable" deer - those that use the property during hunting season. I can get this information from an unbaited census starting as soon as antler velvet sheds (which appears to be the biological trigger for a buck to move to his fall range). For me, getting a summer census over salt or food bait isn't worth the risk.

Latest posts