Food Plots RYE? Has anyone had any luck

DeerWhisperer

I lease property in Hickman County and in speaking with the Landowner this weekend, he is wanting to plant the flots in Rye this year as the plots serve dual purpose. After deer season, he opens the fields up to graze cattle.

Has anyone had any luck with Rye in this area? I am referring to "Cereal Rye" not rye grass.

Pmedic

I've had good results out of my plots with RYE grain as long as it is young and tender. If you plant too early the deer pull off of it when it get to stems.

Bayou Buck

I planted a few plots in rye this year. The deer prefer wheat in my area but I like to use rye to build up the organic matter in some of my rocky plots. The deer do graze on it also.

Boll Weevil

I've planted a lot of rye over the years...very good stuff and the deer will definitely keep it clipped. Not sure why I quit planting it except that wheat was generally cheaper.

777rellik

Like tricale 231 best of both worlds like having wheat and ryes best parts wrapped in one plant.Build your soil up b y planting buckwheat.Just bushhog it before it turns to seed and disc it all back in adds organic matter.

bbuck14

The rye will come up in a matter of days if you have moisture in the ground or a rain hit it. If your going to bowhunt over it then plant it now. If your doing it for later in the season then I'd wait til its closer time. Like Pmedic said, when it turns to stems deer will leave it alone.