rsimms... live bait

Pilchard

I am no bass fisherman but I have used a lot of live bait in saltwater. Hence my name on this board.

The key with live bait is to match your hook size to the bait— not the fish you are after. The bait needs to be able to swim naturally. A oversized hook will impair the baits ability to swim.

Then, of equal importance is to hook the bait in a way that allows the hook to pull out of the bait and into the fish easily. This is true for J and circle hooks.

cbhunter

Pilchard":17ypz2vu said:
I am no bass fisherman but I have used a lot of live bait in saltwater. Hence my name on this board.

The key with live bait is to match your hook size to the bait— not the fish you are after. The bait needs to be able to swim naturally. A oversized hook will impair the baits ability to swim.

Then, of equal importance is to hook the bait in a way that allows the hook to pull out of the bait and into the fish easily. This is true for J and circle hooks.

Maybe that was my problem, not hooking the bait correctly. Where would you hook a small bluegill for it to effectively come out of the bait and into the fish?

Dbllunger

Like Pilchard, I'm very familiar with fishing live bait in saltwater. Primarily fishing live pinfish below popping corks. I'm going to definitely give this a try with some bluegill this weekend. I have a bait tank and can catch all the small gills I want in short order. Put them on a hook below a popping cork saltwater style and see what happens. Bout the only way I would want to target the ditch pickles. Might be fun and who knows, the river I would try this on is known for having muskie as well. That would be the Rocky River near Rock Island.

Dbllunger

cbhunter":1tatxc03 said:
Pilchard":1tatxc03 said:

Maybe that was my problem, not hooking the bait correctly. Where would you hook a small bluegill for it to effectively come out of the bait and into the fish?

With pinfish in saltwater, I like to hook them through the top of the back just behind the dorsal fin usually.

Pilchard

cbhunter":3kq8nwqc said:
Pilchard":3kq8nwqc said:

Bluegill used live should be hooked side ways through the nostrils IMO. I often used them for bait in florida when fishing for saltwater species that were landlocked in freshwater environment. Make sure you are careful to wiggle the hook through lightly. Don't force it through. If using a circle hook you should be even more careful at the hook needs to be gently rotated into one nostril and out the other.

rsimms

RUGER":3oyfd6xl said:
Just curious, when using live bait for bass do ya'll use circle hooks or what?

Sometimes, but not always. We often use Kahle hooks (usually 1/0). It often depends upon the size of the bait we have. If I'm fishing small shiners for smallmouth people are often shocked at the tiny hooks I use. But when you start bass fishing with 10-12 inch golden shiners, you've got to have a good sized hook.

And yes, sometimes with live bait bass will swallow them deep, especially with inexperienced clients who are not very adept at knowing when a fish has taken their bait. But if a fish is deep-hooked, we NEVER go digging it out. We always just cut the line. I can't say for certain all the fish survive, but I believe the majority do.

Latest posts