Food Plots Roundup Ready Soybean seed from the Co-op

You mentioned the Eagle beans. I planted my eagle beans the first week of June and was about an acre short and finished with these USG beans. They are not a forage bean by any means. I think they are a group 4.7 where the large lad eagle beans are a group 7. I have a good stand but the eagle beans are twice as tall right now. I put an electric fence around them. Plan to turn the deer in around August 1. Will be interesting to see if the fence causes the deer to stay away once I pull it.
We do have a 7.2 maturity Glyphosate Tolerant soybean but they usually sell out pretty quick. USG 7732nGT. I would try them first next year.

backyardtndeer

Had been using the rural king gly resistant beans from Indiana producer, Hoosier pride. The 4.7 maturity beans they were selling did very well here, but was unable to get them last year. Won't be able to do any plots this year. I may have to check into the coop beans next year.

BSK

OK, just found out what the maturity groups mean. I would still like to find the fastest early growing forage soybean. As I said earlier, I will only be growing my beans for 3 months (May, June, July).

What is the difference between Roundup Ready soybeans and Roundup tolerant and resistant soybeans?
It means the same thing but legally we cannot use the wording Roundup Ready once the RR trait patent expired. SO we call the Glyphosat Tolerant.

RM is Relative Maturity. We grow 4 or 5 RM here in TN best for seed. 0 is for Canada all the way to RM 8 near the gulf.

chart1300

I have a no till planter and tried it with ok results. The best way I have found is disc and fertilize good and make sure your PH is about 6.5 Broadcast about 1.3 -1.5 bags to the acre and drag back in. I planted Game Keepers and it's amazing. Beans were over 6 ft tall. BSK the deer will come back and eat the beans late season and not to mention the Volunteer beans the next year. I have on several occasions mowed lanes and broadcast winter peas , oats , Turnips and wheat over the top with great success. I will include a few pics. I'm 5' 10 as a reference and standing in the edge , they are taller in the middle. I have also mixed corn in with the beans and had good success.

Attachments

• E7343F02-DD4F-4429-BFC6-686D9D543F10.jpeg
    E7343F02-DD4F-4429-BFC6-686D9D543F10.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7773.MOV
    16.5 MB
  • IMG_7770.MOV
    14.4 MB
  • IMG_7771.MOV
    16.5 MB

BSK

I have a no till planter and tried it with ok results. The best way I have found is disc and fertilize good and make sure your PH is about 6.5 Broadcast about 1.3 -1.5 bags to the acre and drag back in. I planted Game Keepers and it's amazing. Beans were over 6 ft tall. BSK the deer will come back and eat the beans late season and not to mention the Volunteer beans the next year. I have on several occasions mowed lanes and broadcast winter peas , oats , Turnips and wheat over the top with great success. I will include a few pics. I'm 5' 10 as a reference and standing in the edge , they are taller in the middle. I have also mixed corn in with the beans and had good success.
Only problem is, I turn my summer plots under for fall planting in early to mid-August. My fall plots are "where the money is." My summer plots are just to give the local deer (which aren't exactly the deer I'll be hunting) something extra to eat, and to help keep the plots free of weeds until fall planting. But then my personal property is a unique situation, where most of the deer we will be hunting don't live on the property in the summer. They only move onto the property in mid-Fall.

DoubleRidge

Very nice plots.....those beans look great!! And your plots are a reminder that seed to soil contact + fertilizer + correct pH = success.....oh and of course timely rain.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Looks great! What no-till planter do you have? And why would you rather broadcast? What was the issue?

Reason I'm asking, we have a no-till drill we bought new 2 years ago and it sure a learning curve when you're used to conventional ag planting. I think this year we have finally figured it out (it's always worked, but only about 70% of what we wanted). Also didn't help had an extreme drought in 2019 and no acorns in 2020 so everything got hammered.

chart1300

I have an AC I cut down to a 4 row. When I planted them they were not as thick and deer walked the rows and topped em. When you broadcast they get so thick you can't walk through them and it's all but possible for deer to eat them up. The smaller the plot the more that becomes important. I feel like with the deer density most of us experience in TN/ KY/ Alabama etc… it works far better.

JCDEERMAN

I have an AC I cut down to a 4 row. When I planted them they were not as thick and deer walked the rows and topped em. When you broadcast they get so thick you can't walk through them and it's all but possible for deer to eat them up. The smaller the plot the more that becomes important. I feel like with the deer density most of us experience in TN/ KY/ Alabama etc… it works far better.
Gotcha. Ours is a 9 row planter that have 7.5" row spacing, so it's planted much closer together.

JCDEERMAN

I can adjust mine and set it on very close rows also but I still had better beans broadcasting. For deer plots I like mine thick. Just my 2 cents
No doubt. When broadcasting seed, typically at a higher seed rate than with a drill (and scattered everywhere), it seems there was much more growth. It also seems as if we didn't have as much weed competition. I need to get that under control, but with the droughts we've had and lack of acorns the last 2 years, the deer have eaten everything to the ground and that has allowed weeds to take back over. Here's to better weather and higher crop yields on the trees and plots!

Latest posts