Food Plots Roundup Ready Soybean seed from the Co-op

BSK

Anybody else use the sort of "generic" RR soybean seed the Co-ops was selling this year? I'm curious where it actually came from. So far, I'm very impressed with it. I had poor soil areas where that was the only seed that grew. Even buckwheat didn't grow in those areas. Deer are wolfing it down on camera too.

JCDEERMAN

Not sure but was planning on calling them tomorrow about something else and I can ask. Was there a name to them, or just "coop beans"? Also, how much were they a bag?

DoubleRidge

Anybody else use the sort of "generic" RR soybean seed the Co-ops was selling this year? I'm curious where it actually came from. So far, I'm very impressed with it. I had poor soil areas where that was the only seed that grew. Even buckwheat didn't grow in those areas. Deer are wolfing it down on camera too.

I was curious myself and did a little research online... Pictures attached are the coop RR soybeans I got for $38 a bag...other picture attached shows info on back of bag....last picture is from website that list producer's in our region.

Attachments

• IMG_20210526_135425419~2.jpg
    IMG_20210526_135425419~2.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20210526_135511531~2.jpg
    IMG_20210526_135511531~2.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20210627-212621.png
    Screenshot_20210627-212621.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 77

BSK

That's the stuff DoubleRidge! I thought it was awfully cheap for RR soybeans, so I worried it wouldn't be a good product, but so far I'm SUPER impressed with it.

Now it's not going to win any awards for forage production - it's no Eagle Seed type variety - but for the price, and the poorer soils I'm growing it in, I'm impressed.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Looks like a RR production bean, not forage bean. The difference is the genetic focus is seed / bean production rather than vine and leaf production. Another difference is the ability to withstand browse and continue forking, suckering and growing. The place this matters is in a small plot where there is little other food and the deer are ravenous. In this setting plant them thick, like 1.5 X recommended rate. Under lower pressure its a good bean by the #'s .
Oh and Gly-4 is a salt technically.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
That's the stuff DoubleRidge! I thought it was awfully cheap for RR soybeans, so I worried it wouldn't be a good product, but so far I'm SUPER impressed with it.

Now it's not going to win any awards for forage production - it's no Eagle Seed type variety - but for the price, and the poorer soils I'm growing it in, I'm impressed.
If the deer will let it make just broadcast cereal rye, crimson clover, radishes and turnips into it by the end of August and leave the beans standing. Once the leaves drop the fall crop will come in and provide food for hunting season and beyond. If there are beans left they will come back and get them later.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled

You mentioned the Eagle beans. I planted my eagle beans the first week of June and was about an acre short and finished with these USG beans. They are not a forage bean by any means. I think they are a group 4.7 where the large lad eagle beans are a group 7. I have a good stand but the eagle beans are twice as tall right now. I put an electric fence around them. Plan to turn the deer in around August 1. Will be interesting to see if the fence causes the deer to stay away once I pull it.

DoubleRidge

You mentioned the Eagle beans. I planted my eagle beans the first week of June and was about an acre short and finished with these USG beans. They are not a forage bean by any means. I think they are a group 4.7 where the large lad eagle beans are a group 7. I have a good stand but the eagle beans are twice as tall right now. I put an electric fence around them. Plan to turn the deer in around August 1. Will be interesting to see if the fence causes the deer to stay away once I pull it.

Yes....eagle beans was what I intended to plant originally but our local co-op was out and the lady said she would have to special order them for me....I was off work and wanted to plant this particular plot while I had the opportunity.....so I asked about other RR beans....when she said USG and $38 I said....no, round up ready....she said they are RR....I wasn't totally convinced until I loaded the bags on the truck....I've never seen a RR product so affordable......you mentioned an electric fence....last year I said I was going to experiment with a fence this year and I didn't do it....but I hope to in the future.... assume you use the three strand system? If so, do you use ribbon or rope type fence? Solar charger? Buddy of mine fenced an acre or so of sunflowers and has around $300 in everything needed purchasing new....hoping to figure out some more affordable options.

wildlifefarmer

I know better but I planted 1.5 acres of Eagle beans the 1st of June. Great germination, but now the main question is when will we get the rain ?? Looked like a better than 50% chance of rain for the last 3 weeks but the weather people keep pushing it back. I have only had 3/10 of an inch (in 15 mins) of rain last 4 weeks. Now the deer have found it!!! I don't think it will make it. Was thinking about an electric fence but 1 OLD FART to put the fence up. I don't think so even though I have the charger for the fence. Live and learn!!!!!

DoubleRidge

Agree.... originally I had my doubts but so far I'm pleased and impressed....these are the beans I'm using on the "experimental plot" where I just sowed them into last year's fall crop then bush hogged....I'm behind spraying but hope to this week if work allows....as you said....this plot is not going to win any awards but the deer are enjoying them.

BSK

If the deer will let it make just broadcast cereal rye, crimson clover, radishes and turnips into it by the end of August and leave the beans standing. Once the leaves drop the fall crop will come in and provide food for hunting season and beyond. If there are beans left they will come back and get them later.
These summer plots were just an experiment. First time I've attempted summer plots in many years. I gave up on them because of complete lack of soil moisture in summer and low food plot acreage allowing deer to wipe out anything I planted. Now I have the acreage, and from turning the soil, adequate soil moisture even in the summer. Next summer I'll probably go with a different mix (all RR plants). I hate to pay the Eagle Seed prices, but we shall see. Big difference between $40/bag and $90.

chart1300

I thought Eagle was high as well , but after using them it's worth every penny. When you break it down most of us are planting 3-6 acres of plots. Comes out about $50 acre more. This year I have a stand of volunteer beans that look better than most that were planted! I will never use anything but unless I can no longer get it. I will be planting a fall plot with Smorgasbord in the middle of the beans. I can't wait! Good luck this yr to everyone , I hope we all kill a BOONER!!

DoubleRidge

I thought Eagle was high as well , but after using them it's worth every penny. When you break it down most of us are planting 3-6 acres of plots. Comes out about $50 acre more. This year I have a stand of volunteer beans that look better than most that were planted! I will never use anything but unless I can no longer get it. I will be planting a fall plot with Smorgasbord in the middle of the beans. I can't wait! Good luck this yr to everyone , I hope we all kill a BOONER!!

chart1300.... everything I've read and seen on eagle beans is amazing and again, that was my original plan but they were not in stock that day....I'll need to plan better in the future.

How are you planting your beans?

Spray, throw and mow?

Disk , broadcast, cultipack?

No-till planter?

With broadcast rates being higher plus the increase in cost.... I have a hard time just broadcasting eagle seed....but I'll do it if there's no other option.

But once I have access to a no-till planter I would love to try the eagle seed.....knowing I got each seed in the ground would help me digest the cost a little better.

Pioneer1789

chart1300.... everything I've read and seen on eagle beans is amazing and again, that was my original plan but they were not in stock that day....I'll need to plan better in the future.

How are you planting your beans?

Spray, throw and mow?

Disk , broadcast, cultipack?

No-till planter?

With broadcast rates being higher plus the increase in cost.... I have a hard time just broadcasting eagle seed....but I'll do it if there's no other option.

But once I have access to a no-till planter I would love to try the eagle seed.....knowing I got each seed in the ground would help me digest the cost a little better.
I rented a drill from Co-Op. Only $10 per acre. I didn't realize that one of the tubes was stopped up. Once that seed cup filled up, seed starting spilling on the ground. All the seed that just fell on the ground germinated. The ones that got good enough ground contact are growing. I wouldn't hesitate to spray rye, broadcast eagle beans, and then smash down the rye layer. Or check into drill rental. For the price, it's almost impossible for me to consider buying a $20k machine.

I was curious myself and did a little research online... Pictures attached are the coop RR soybeans I got for $38 a bag...other picture attached shows info on back of bag....last picture is from website that list producer's in our region.
Most of our Glyphosate Tolerant soybeans are produced by the Killen AL dealer and transferred to Co-Op. Thanks for your business!

DoubleRidge

I rented a drill from Co-Op. Only $10 per acre. I didn't realize that one of the tubes was stopped up. Once that seed cup filled up, seed starting spilling on the ground. All the seed that just fell on the ground germinated. The ones that got good enough ground contact are growing. I wouldn't hesitate to spray rye, broadcast eagle beans, and then smash down the rye layer. Or check into drill rental. For the price, it's almost impossible for me to consider buying a $20k machine.

Thanks for the info..... considering the acreage we have in plots I would absolutely rent before purchasing a piece of equipment to plant beans.....I do have access to a two row no-till planter I just hadn't tried it yet (and it needs some work to be field ready)....and I hadn't even thought about a rental to plant beans..... several years ago I rented a drill from our county extension office to renovate our pastures with grass seed and clover....but they have since sold the machine....I'll have to check with our local co-op for future plantings....thanks.

BSK

One of my concerns price-wise is that I'm only growing the beans for 3 months. I'll be turning everything under in early August for my fall plantings. One of the selling points of eagle beans is their long growth period. I don't need a long growth period, just a very fast growing species.

Awesome to hear! Thanks for your business!

Latest posts