Rolling out in the AM for Colorado elk opener!!!

megalomaniac

Finally that time of the year again. I'm packed and as soon as this 24 hour shift at work is over I'm hitting the road for my annual Rocky Mountain High. Can't wait for 20-30 degree mornings and the sights, sounds, and smells of the high-country.

Mixed feelings this year. I can't decide whether to hold out for a bull, or take the first elk that comes by. I've been lucky enough to take cows the past two years in a row, really want my first bull, but darn those cows eat good. Even if I don't get a shot, I'll still have a blast, though. Gonna be some monster trout caught in the evenings if it's like it was last year.

Baxter83

Where do you go? Guided or not?

I'm going to try and get a few friends together and go somewhere like that in the next two or three years.

megalomaniac

All public land with a bow. Strictly DIY, no guide. The first time going DIY is a little intimidating, but after you learn the ropes I couldn't imagine paying someone another $1500-2000 to do the same thing I'll be doing on my own. (Although I wouldn't mind having someone else haul the elk out :) )

PO Cedar

I'm in the central part of the state (Gunnison)and we're getting afternoon rain and cool temps the last 3 days.Frost this morning up where I was camped. 30s and 70s for daytime temps. Good luck on your hunt! I'm personally having bear problems(3 different times he's torn up my bivy camp looking for food). I may have to change locations but I established this site back in '98 and I feel I have "squatter's rights" over this bear. We'll see how it plays out.........

megalomaniac

PO, I'll be in your neighborhood :) Have you heard any bugles yet? 2 years ago, they were fired up on opening morning. Last year they were way behind schedule and hardly heard a chuckle.

Zip me a PM if you want to take a break for a day and get a hot shower and steak/trout dinner (we eat REAL good on this hunt :) )

Locksley

megalomaniac said:
PO, I'll be in your neighborhood :) Have you heard any bugles yet? 2 years ago, they were fired up on opening morning. Last year they were way behind schedule and hardly heard a chuckle.

Zip me a PM if you want to take a break for a day and get a hot shower and steak/trout dinner (we eat REAL good on this hunt :) )

You guys get togeather and have a good hunt. P.S. watch out for those bears out there.
Locksley

Latest posts