Roll Call and equipment used.

Toxophilite Phil

Glad to see a forum just for the Traditional folks. I am a bowhunter. I am not an elitest. If it has a string and a nocking point on it ,I can fling a shaft from it. I don't care......compound, recurve,longbow, selfbow......I don't care. I just love to watch the arrows fly. Right now I'm shooting a Harry Elburg Cherokee Magnum, 52# @28".

squattin dogg

Chris " SQUATTIN DOGG "

Ft. Dowing hickory self-bow 28" at 52lbs
mix and match arrows from wood to aluminum to carbon.
Just like to have fun in the yard with it. A buddy has the same bow and wants us to try a traditional hunt this year.

TheLBLman

Guys, you sound like the right bunch that could maybe give me some good advise.

I've been seriously thinking about getting back into traditional archery now for several years, mainly because I love the simplicity, as I grew up hunting (and killing) deer with a recurve bow.

But I have a problem, or at least I think I have a problem, in making this transition.

I am right handed, but extremely left-eyed (actually legally blind in my right eye). I learned to shoot a recurve bow instinctively, right handed, as a child, and did well mainly because of extensive practicing. I also learned to shoot shotguns and rifles right-handed, even though I was aiming with my left eye (holding my cheek pressed tightly against the stock).

As I got older, my head grew wider, and I had to learn to shoot long guns left-handed (I still shoot handguns right-handed). I've learned to shoot a compound bow left-handed, but it just doesn't "feel" right when I try a recurve left-handed ---- it's like a right-handed person trying to throw a ball left-handed.

And if that's not enough of an issue, I had the end of my left index finger cut off, which seems to be of particular issue (even if just in my mind) if I don't use a mechanical release aid. When I shot a recurve right-handed, I used to throw tin cans up into the air and put an arrow threw them flying ---- but I don't ever see myself developing that skill level left-handed.

My last recurve was a right-hand 55-lb pull Bear Kodiak Magnum.

But while considering left-hand bows, I think I would do better starting out with a 40 to 45-lb pull.

Are there any reasonably good 40 to 45-lb pull recurves readily available in left-hand?

But that's just part of my issue.
I'm really not sure I'll be able to put the necessary time into this to become proficient enough that I wouldn't rather be using a compound bow. I'm a very ethical hunter and currently limit my bow shots to only very high-probability ones (and under 30 yards). But I might be limited to only 10 yards as a chocolate chip cookie-eyed, right-handed, left-shooting, finger-missing recurve shooter.

So I'm seriously thinking about getting two new recurves, one set up about as "traditional" as it gets (using no sights and trying to use "fingers"), and the other using sights and a release aid. I'd even considered sticking to right-hand recurves, using a laser aiming sight, but that kind of defeats the idea of going more "traditional".

Your thoughts?

Phil Floyd

Dang, Wes, you have done gone and complicated something that is supposed to be relatively simple.

With ample dedication and practice, I think all of your problems can be overcome, but it won't be easy. If you are ever coming through Crossville, holler at me, and we can talk about it.

To answer a couple of your questions. 40 to 45# would probably be a good draw weight to start with. That will kill any deer in TN. There are good left hand recurves being produced in that weight range.

TheLBLman

Thanks, Phil, I may have to give you a holler.

Been real disappointing to see what's not available, as most recurves are either "right hand only" or only in 55-lb as a left-hand model, particular those less than 60 inches in length.

Steve Eggers

Wes
If you shoot truly instinctive it shouldnt matter
You say you are right handed -- I would guess that you would throw a ball with your right hand -- same thing

I would try a rh bow first

There you go

TheLBLman

But you haven't seen me throw a ball! :grin:
I actually have a little trouble with left/right accuracy, both throwing a ball, and shooting a bow (instinctively) right-handed. That was the main reason I started shooting a bow left handed.

Old Timer

Wes-

For shooting right-handed you might try canting the bow and adjusting your stance and anchor point to allow the arrow to be drawn more nearly under the left eye.

I've got an old Bear 40# longbow with a shelf on both sides to allow for shooting with either hand that I could loan you if you liked.

AngusBrock

I shoot a Bear Kodiak.
Custom made wood shaft arrows from Mike Twidell in AL.
Been using this same bow for about 24 yrs.
I also have a long bow but the maker slips my mind at the moment and ill have to look when i get home, I do recall that it was made in the mid 60's and I picked it up at a yard sale with a quiver full of arrows for $10, there was a PA. hunting guide from 1967 in the side pouch on the quiver when i got it and a new (but rather old) string still on the spool there as well.

TheLBLman

Old Timer said:
For shooting right-handed you might try canting the bow and adjusting your stance and anchor point to allow the arrow to be drawn more nearly under the left eye.

I've got an old Bear 40# longbow with a shelf on both sides to allow for shooting with either hand that I could loan you if you liked.
Thanks, Old Timer.

I think I'm going to see about getting an ambidextrous bow, maybe off ebay, and start with that. Just disappointed to see how relatively few options there are in a left-hand recurve, especially if you want to start out with less than 55 lbs.

Locksley

I have a martin Sabra , a Martin Blackhawk signatrure bow, both are 52 lbs. I shoot quite a few older recurves from Ben Pearson, Wing, and Bear.
And a couple of Dan Quillian longbows , TWO prrarie Winds recurves. .

Tom-TN

Well, this is my first official post to this site.

I shoot a fairly large collection of bows. These include longbow, flatbows, recurves and selfbows. My primary bow this year is a Habu t/d recurve. This will be my bow of choice for my Michigan bear hunt in September.

My favorite longbow is a t/d Chek-Mate Crusader and my favorite selfbow is a red stained osage made by Brad Smith. He did alot of his fancy art work on the back too.

Take care............Tom

PO Cedar

Checking in over here. I have several bows. I favor the curved bed limb style recurves, mostly all takedowns. Here is a pic of my primary hunting bow. I had it custom made in 1990. I had problems getting this bow from the bowyer after paying him for it.I finally got it and Byron Ferguson was up at the archery range for our 2 day archery tournament and he was the first one to shoot it and gave it a nod of approval. Its gone with me on all my hunts and so far has held up fine. I have several of the Fred Asbell era curved bed limb takedowns. Not the fastest but they shoot where you point them. I'm getting ready for the annual trek out West--then I'll head to Waverly for whitetail hunting.
elkbowcallsandoptics.jpg