Road Trip

4onaside

PO Cedar said:
I was driving it for the first time and it was raining and foggy all the way to Durango from Ouray. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The rain has slackened off now and the mosquitoes seem to be thinning out in the evenings. Coldest morning this morning-the creek water shower was definitely an eye-opener!! I'm about ready to start fishing now,clear water and no skeeters!
I'm interested in what you catch. Depending on location and altitude, Bows, Browns, Cuts or what? Good Luck.

Locksley

PO Cedar said:
I was driving it for the first time and it was raining and foggy all the way to Durango from Ouray. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The rain has slackened off now and the mosquitoes seem to be thinning out in the evenings. Coldest morning this morning-the creek water shower was definitely an eye-opener!! I'm about ready to start fishing now,clear water and no skeeters!
Good luck fishing

PO Cedar

I hiked into a remote creek that was supposed to have cutthroat,rainbows,and browns in it. On the way in I busted 5 small bull elk all bedded together. Two ran down in front of me and turned out of the creek and joined the others. All were legal bulls(small 5x5s and 6x6s) but were small in size and antler mass. This was on Saturday. I caught several rainbows upstream. I took a few pics on my cell phone but quit after I almost had a fish expire before releasing it. Fun day! This morning I woke up to a hard frost,both on my tentcot and the windows of the truck. Its quit raining out here and starting to get pretty dry and dusty. I hiked up to the top of a peak this morning and found my first fresh rubs-several small conifers had been worked over. I was descending and found a good sized water hole being used by the elk. Fresh elk droppings and two fresh rubs. BUT I am not seeing the amount of game I'm used to seeing out here. This area had a harsh winter and you can tell by the bowed over and broken off treetops it got pretty rough. BUT the only area I heard of any severe die-off was up around the Gunnison Basin. I know the last week has been the full moon phase but the sign just isn't in the woods either. The range cattle hasn't moved into my hunting area yet so identifying sign should be easier. ITS just not there. I haven't heard the elk bugling yet-only the coyotes at last light and early morning wake-ups. Cheers!!

PO Cedar

Still no bugling. Dry-no rain out here now for a week and a half.Fished an area north and caught several small cutthroat trout-released immediately as per regulations. Had a bear run across the road going up the mountain the other morning. I hope the elk archery opener coinciding with Labor Day weekend doesn't create a circus atmosphere. Cheers!

megalomaniac

Man, you're just living the dream.

I wouldn't be worried 'bout the elk... according to 'rocketman' on Monstermulies, they've just begun shedding velvet last week, and are just starting bugle.

As far as labor day weeking being a circus... it will- I'm dreading it. I've already decided I'm going to cover the escape routes off the mountain and let the other hunters push the elk right to me.

PO Cedar

Set up the big camp yesterday. Got pics of about 12 elk including a nice bull feeding through the other evening just before a thunderstorm/hailstorm. They were very vocal,no bugles but lots of cow talk. Mostly cows,calves but saw one small raghorn and the larger bull. Finally heard my first bugle this morning at 7:30 CO time. All is well!!

PO Cedar

Still here. The daughter's birthday so I slept in and came to town to call her. Full moon has the muzzie season a little fouled up. Seems everything is about a week or so behind out here. Aspens not turned yet,bugling sparse. Figure I'll just hang out here until the TN archery opener. Temps are low 40s at wake up and 58-60 at noon thirty. Loving it!!