Road Trip

PO Cedar

Looks like I will head out to CO August 1st. The way the gas keeps going up I may be paying 5.00 a gallon by then. I plan on staying out there until September 28th. I called there and talked to my rancher friend and he couldn't get up on top of the mountain yet. The heavy snows caused some slides and the roads have to be built back. He said he thought it would be open up there by next week. There is a lot of snow up on top still. One month to go!!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
My dad just did a 6200 mile loop thru SD, Ia,Wy, Mt, Co, Ut, NM and said that gas was averaging around $4.19-4.31 all thru Co. Diesel was at $5.35 He said their campsite in Yellowstone still had nearly 2 foot of snow around it and it was in the 20's one night.

I've about gone crosseyed now looking at maps, Google Earth, MSN maps and GMUResearch. I have enough stuff to look at for the next 3 months and have found what looks like a few killer spots.

PO Cedar

I always throw in an extra folding cot/Thermarest in case someone calls and has a little time off work to run out and do a whirlwind hunt. I like to get in 2 Fall seasons per year myself.

megalomaniac

Wow, an entire month of preseason scouting! You ought to be on some dandys come opening morning! And no need to worry about adjusting to the altitude on the first day of the hunt.

Someday... if I'm ever able to retire :)

PO Cedar

I really don't think I'll be doing any preseason scouting in the area I hunt. I pretty well have that place figured out. But I plan on looking at some other spots while taking in the area's small towns and all the activities going on at those places. I plan on flyfishing some of the high country lakes; basically just get away from the TN heat. I personally find summer my least favorite season of the year.

BigCountry71

Have fun....My trip has been kinda busted up. But the guy threw in a free elk hunt. Im still ticked a little. He didnt follow up with the land owner on the spot we were going to hunt some big mullie. If my buddy didnt know the guy. I would really be upset. We still will be able to hunt. But another track of land. And he said we could take a elk to boot for no extra charge for the mix-up.

Gonna head out on August 28th...

PO Cedar

Looking like August 3rd. I got a good report from the doctor on my physical. Having a stress test on the 29th. Hopefully get a thumbs up and leave the hot weather behind that Sunday.

PO Cedar

Well, I'm home from the doc's office.Radar, I ended up at the Franklin Vanderbilt Center. Conference with my physician tomorrow morning.Then a "mosquito report" from the high country and if they've let up I'm heading out. IF the skeeters are still flying in squadrons in CO then I'm heading to the cabin and work on some stuff for the deer season here before heading West. Man, its starting to look like we're going to have another scorcher in August here like last year. We need some RELIEF!!

PO Cedar

The truck/trailer is loaded. I'm planning on shoving off here around 4-4:30 in the morning. I hope to be leaving the heat behind for a while. I was dripping wet with sweat while tweaking the truck and trailer.WHEW!! My neighbors were looking at me sort of funny when I was stuffing the wool clothes in the duffel bag.....................Hope to be back here in one piece by the opening Sunday of archery season! Good luck with your hunts!!

PO Cedar

Well I'm in the library in CO. Its been raining in the afternoons about every evening. I've been over at my hunting area and trying to get it scouted and then get out of the area. I'm using a "tentcot" and tarp for my "rambling" from place to place. I was up at Ridgway Saturday for their annual "Arts and Crafts" Fair-rustic style hand crafted items. I ended up at Ouray that evening then stopped at Silverton for dinner. Recommend the "Pickle Barrel" restaurant if you stop in there. No acorns on the oakbrush anywhere I've checked-Montrose,Unit #62 on the Divide Rd(near Columbine Pass). If anyone is hunting Unit #61(draw unit),they're logging heavily near Transfer Rd. and they have put up two cell phone towers there. The chokecherries have made good and the mushrooms are just now popping up(so are the "shroomers"). Temps have been in the 50s at night and 60s days on top-rains mostly in the evening......I probably won't venture any further north or east than where I've been--if the rivers clear up I plan on doing some flyfishing. I spent the night up at Lizard Head wilderness a couple days ago but the mosquitoes ran me out after one day there. Everything is lush and green up that way.Cheers!

4onaside

The drive South from Ouray to Silverton has to be one of the most spectacular(and scary!) drives around. I was driving a van at the time, and my fingers had to pried from the steering wheel when we got "down" to Silverton! A friend of mine and her husband came through there on motorcycles. Her husband lost his hat, and my friend said that it fell to "infinity".

PO Cedar

I was driving it for the first time and it was raining and foggy all the way to Durango from Ouray. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The rain has slackened off now and the mosquitoes seem to be thinning out in the evenings. Coldest morning this morning-the creek water shower was definitely an eye-opener!! I'm about ready to start fishing now,clear water and no skeeters!

Latest posts