rifles

TheLBLman

knightrider":1hortza8 said:
Just one it would have to be my 300 win mag
I'm kinda pleasantly surprised how many have said a .300 magnum :)
My original thinking when I got that .300 Weatherby was
that it would be one gun capable of handling anything I might hunt in North America.
It has never disappointed me.

I'm not sure if that would remain my exact caliber choice if limited strictly to whitetails,
but can say that "one" gun for whitetails would not be a .243 ---- even though I've seen how quickly a .243 will drop the biggest buck with a well placed shot.

Some considerations include availability of the particular caliber, whether you'll be handloading it, etc.
I would also consider the physical size and strength of the shooter.
Also, if you shoot left-handed, you may need to have a custom rifle built to get what you want in some particular caliber.
You'll typically find a lot more stock left-handed rifles available in the more proven and popular calibers.

infoman jr.

TheLBLman":39x6qhm9 said:
I hear Infoman, Jr. recommends anything "Creedmore" :tu:
:bash:

I reckon if I had to throw away all but one of mine, I'd keep the M700 .308 with a Bushnell XRS and a suppressor. Sure my .300 win mag packs a meaner punch, and my 700 Ti 7-08 is handier to carry, but the ability to shoot suppressed has spoiled me.

Duck dogn

It would probably be my Winchester 7 mag converted from wood stock to synthetic and love it. However I would like a 308 if it ever returns from Mossberg!

catman529

My marlin 336 30-30 I will never get rid of it. I've come to really love my .308 over the past weekend, but if I had to get rid of all but one, I'd keep the 30-30

k-i-d-d

Since everybody is taking centerfires, there should be a lot of areas open. :poke: I'll take my smokeless.

sc8point

I am with LBL. We killed 2 deer on our place this year that probably would not have been recovered if not for 7mm rem magnum and .300 WSM rifles with good bullets , Scirocco bullets. They were both large bucks for our area and 3.5 or 4.5 years old. Both were hit to far back and neither went more than 100 yards. Sometimes things happen beyond our control and I like to be prepared. I know all about picking your shots and such. I once had a string of 19 one shot kills with bow, ml and rifle. The thing is stuff happens.

jlanecr500

I have come to realize, from recent years of killing 90% of the deer I kill with a 40 or 45 smokeless muzzleloaders, that big is always better. Larger wound cavity, with less meat damage, and rarely any tracking needed. 30 caliber and under are very picky about bullet construction. Too tough and they will pencil thru. Too frangible and they will really make a mess.
If I had to choose, it would likely be my trusty 30-06. It truly is a do-it-all round. That said, I bought a 338 Win Mag from Kimber a few weeks ago and that sucker is shooting 225 Accubonds into .2" groups at 120 yards. I was amazed. Thanks Kimber.

Jbird22

280longshot":1j72npz2 said:
280, it's laser guided from Remington.
If I had to hunt with just one, the 280 (Browning A Bolt) would be my choice as well. Put one through both shoulders with a 140 gr Federal Trophy Copper and it's lights out!

Poleaxe

My dream rifle is a gunwerks mountain x in a 308. That's if money wasn't a issue. Never hurts to look at em from time to time on their website and dream a little.

mike243

As much as I love all my rifles my Winchester 70,300wm would do all I ever need,more bang flops with 243 and muzzy loaders but never lost 1 with the 300wm,first 1 too leave would be the marlin 30/30

Latest posts