Deer rifles, your hearing, and H.A.N.

TboneD

Just throwing this out there….

Walk around BPS long enough and you'll eventually remember what you NEED, which for me yesterday was some hearing protection for the firearms seasons.
I already have ringing ears and some hearing loss, but I sure don't want it to get any worse. Also I've been a little worried about the muzzle blast from my new 18" barreled 308 win, although y'all probably know that anything louder than a .22 rifle calls for hearing protection.

Bass pro, in Nashville at least, has an awful lot of choices, almost too many, but thankfully a nice serviceman named Timothy working the gun counter was LOT of help. While you could spend an awful lot more than only $80, I chose to get the same set of Walkers that he uses to both enhance and protect hearing from gunfire. Trying out the enhancement after getting back home I was pleasantly surprised at what I got for only $80.

Oh yeah, H.A.N. is "hearing aid nagging." I made it up but the struggle is real. And remember, even digital hearing aids like my father-in-law gave me for my wife to remind me to where every other day won't protect your ears from gunfire. While we will only shoot our muzzleloader once, all those shots add up over time, folks. So I hope y'all at least consider taking care of your ears just like the rest of yourself this weekend. You still have time to get what you need!

Safe Hunting out there!
Dave

Steverino

Deafness is always blamed on loud noises. I have had hearing tests over the years but recently (several years) I noticed a distinct drop especially trying to understand the wife who has speech problems as part of her cerebellar degeneration. So I was prescribed by an audiologist hearing aids. Didn't wear them for a year or so. But things kept getting worse so I went back for a visit and test and there was more loss. I attributed it to a life time of loud music - I play guitar and my amps went to 11. She said no - I have surfers ear from cold water exposure when I was young - the beach up north - and also as of this round of tests this year - hereditary deafness. She said the pattern shown by the test analysis of frequencies I can't hear is right in line with people who have known hereditary deafness or hearing impairment.

I did do some dumb things going to loud concerts etc and playing too loud

It is always wise to protect your hears - I wear and have worn in ear protection and when shooting loud guns, mowing, tractor work, etc. I put on headphones too when protecting from handgun blasts and big rifles. Suppressors would be great. I'm wearing headphones when I play guitar with a band so I can control the volume and hear everyone. I tell you its weird when you hear some frequencies and not others well - notes can change and the G you thought you were playing is really a C without aid.

TnBob

Walkers Razor Slim Xtrm. Just got them last week and love them. If I get out this season I'll be hunting with my TC Contender 7-30 Waters. It has a 14" barrel with muzzle brake. LOUD!

FLTENNHUNTER1

Another reason suppressors should be available to purchase over the counter.
I never understood the reasoning behind making them illegal unless you jump through hoops to get one. Hollywood? I mean really, all of a sudden if they become legal are all the thugs going to get them? How will they stuff their nine in their saggy drawers? Will every mass shooter now be using them?

TboneD

Walkers Razor Slim Xtrm. Just got them last week and love them. If I get out this season I'll be hunting with my TC Contender 7-30 Waters. It has a 14" barrel with muzzle brake. LOUD!
Smart move. Think I've read good reviews of those. The guy at Bass Pro told me he has had his little Walker's ear bud headset for a couple of years now and really likes it. He said he's deaf in one ear and this headset does better than the one the military has had him use.

Steverino

I never understood the reasoning behind making them illegal unless you jump through hoops to get one. Hollywood? I mean really, all of a sudden if they become legal are all the thugs going to get them? How will they stuff their nine in their saggy drawers? Will every mass shooter now be using them?
I doubt it mass shooters like loud pops and bangs like the video games make. No getting attention with suppressors.

TboneD

Regarding suppression, I'm not the only guy who's bought a threaded, shorter barreled rifle lately, and it doesn't make much sense to not wear hearing protection until when or if we get a can for it.

RockMcL

I have one caution for all on electronic muffs. They are so good you can't tell the difference between a normal shot and a squib or pop fire.

I quit using them when running ranges for that reason. Especially important when around new or careless reloaded.

They are worth it though otherwise.

RockMcL

Reason does not apply 😒 in almost all restrictions on firearms...

Besides who needs reason when you can't argue a point without being labeled as dangerous...

Latest posts