Revolver question?

Mudbone

So I got a little snub nose .38spl for Christmas. It's a cheap little Rossi. I actually really like it aside from the firing pin design though. Feels good in hand, trigger not terrible for what it is, etc...
Anyway the question is about the ammo. When u look it up online on the actual Rossi site it says it will handle the higher pressure +p ammo. The paperwork that came with the gun says no Taurus/Rossi should be loaded with it. Everything I read elsewhere online says opposite and there is plenty of vids of people using it, and plenty of first hand accts of people firing it hundreds of times.
The model is r35102
What say ye?
If it won't handle the plus p I may return and grab a 357. Idk
How necessary is the higher pressure in relation to stopping power than a standard ammo?
Thx

Kimber45

Nope wouldn't do it.. They make some fantastic non +P rounds for self defense. Ppl will tell you that using +P is ok, but the manufacturer does pressure tests etc and knows the build spec. If they don't recommend it, no way I'd chance it.

duckduck84

I would not shoot the +p in it, nor would I worry about buying +p rounds. Plenty of good self defense ammo on the market that isn't +p.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Mudbone

Remington700":i8gq7ysm said:
A quick google search shows it will handle +P's.
Exactly.
But the paperwork that came with gun states differently although the paperwork is for the entire line of Taurus/Rossi revolvers. The paperwork contradicts itself over and over.
That's why I asked the real experts!! Lol
I guess I will pass on the +p's.

Zulu

Every 38 I've seen that are legal for +P will have it stamped somewhere on the barrel. That being said, from my experience carrying a 38 snubbie, the +P ammo only gives around 50fps more muzzle velocity, but has a noticeably snappier recoil. Mine (SW 642) is rated for +P, but I carry standard pressure.

Bambi Buster

double browtine":1p0lsis2 said:
The old 38 Special wad cutter hollow points were some great rounds. I'm sure there are some personal defense rounds out there today that will be even more effective. No need for +p at close range.

I presume you are referring to handloads in which the hollow base wadcutter bullets were seated backward?

Mudbone

I've got a few loose rounds from who knows when that are not seated backwards. Even saw some federal I believe today at Wally World.

Wildcat

If the gun is fairly new, I mean if it was made in the last few years, then they should handle the +P loads, just don't make a steady diet of them. Back then when 38 was king they all didn't always use the grade of steel they use today and that was the reason for the +P stamp.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I'd get the 357 model myself. You can shoot 38 or 357 out of it and not worry about it. I have a Tarus Poly-protector in 357, and it is a great shooting/pointing gun.

double browtine

Bambi Buster":1rg34e5i said:
double browtine":1rg34e5i said:
The old 38 Special wad cutter hollow points were some great rounds. I'm sure there are some personal defense rounds out there today that will be even more effective. No need for +p at close range.

I presume you are referring to handloads in which the hollow base wadcutter bullets were seated backward?

The ones I was talking about were a hollow point, that had a little pencil lead looking tip inside the hollow point. The bullet would spread open into 6 petals, like a flower on impact.

I guess I was wrong in calling them wadcutters.

I have seen a few of the ones you are talking about. I think law enforcement used them as target ammo.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 514

Gravey

Zulu":1mr0927r said:
Every 38 I've seen that are legal for +P will have it stamped somewhere on the barrel. That being said, from my experience carrying a 38 snubbie, the +P ammo only gives around 50fps more muzzle velocity, but has a noticeably snappier recoil. Mine (SW 642) is rated for +P, but I carry standard pressure.
I have the 642 as well and snappie is a great adjective for it with those +P's. It's so light she jumps when you squeeze the trigger.

Forvols

I think I too would get the 357 if you can. Its 2 guns, I also think +p is over rated given modern bullet development and penetration/expansion for person defense rounds. Shot placement is the main factor. But 357 gives you 2 cal in one. I got my target and plinking rounds and then I have my personal defense rounds. But I don't think I have any +p stuff and yes I have handguns that are stated good for +p (other than a bag of old reloads in 38 and 357 never know what you gonna get from it..plink plink ...BOOOOOOM...)

Latest posts