Rethinking all the sawtooths.

hard county

I have on my property so many persimmons that its like not having them. Sawtooth oaks are a non-native invasive and I dont know that they will help management in the long run and they may become the next kudzu. (Imagine if you heard about a plant that grew that well with that kind of protein, we'd all put in a plot.) I like the idea of reverting the property to its natural state, or as close as possible, and I'm wondering if planting invasives would be the best way to do that. Having read sand county almanac a dozen times, I cant believe leopold would have planted any on his place. Why not focus more on establishing and taking care of stands of long leaf pines by burning? This seems like a more responsible albeit equally effective way to manage deer.

TS_13

I agree... sawtooth doesnt spread like a kudzu or any rapid growing plant.

i would be more than happy to take some of those persimmons off your hands :eek:)

Diehard Hunter

Sawtooths are not invasive. Of course, if you let your property "revert" on its own, i am sure you will have honeysuckle, which is an invasive exotic.

BSK

Diehard Hunter said:
i am sure you will have honeysuckle, which is an invasive exotic.

That depends on the species of honeysuckle. There are over 60 varieties and several are native to North America. However, japanese honeysuckle is a non-native invasive vine, but generally not a problem if you have a decent deer population.

Football Hunter

hard county said:
I have on my property so many persimmons that its like not having them. Sawtooth oaks are a non-native invasive and I dont know that they will help management in the long run and they may become the next kudzu. (Imagine if you heard about a plant that grew that well with that kind of protein, we'd all put in a plot.) I like the idea of reverting the property to its natural state, or as close as possible, and I'm wondering if planting invasives would be the best way to do that. Having read sand county almanac a dozen times, I cant believe leopold would have planted any on his place. Why not focus more on establishing and taking care of stands of long leaf pines by burning? This seems like a more responsible albeit equally effective way to manage deer.
I beleive Quailman said they didnt consider Sawtooths or Even Chinese Chestnuts invasive,because they have been here so long,and I guess dont spread like Kudzu .As far as long leaf pines go,great for cover when they are young,never seen a deer eating on one though.

Quailman

Football Hunter said:
I beleive Quailman said they didnt consider Sawtooths or Even Chinese Chestnuts invasive,because they have been here so long,and I guess dont spread like Kudzu .

Both of those are not on the national list of invasive species at this time. I actually doubt you will ever see Chinese chestnut on the list, and so far, I have not see any reason for sawtooth to be listed either.

Quailman

Yes, let me check my calendar. It will probably be late March before I can get there. Program deadlines are keeping my busy right now. I'd like to visit you and RMBBQ on the same day if possible.