Remington 742-Opinions

gatodoc

I've found 742's to be hard to get to group....I've also seen hunters who take quick shots with it thinking they have a quick follow up shot....I always shoot my bolt action as if it's a single shot...I don't squeeze the trigger until I'm sure...yes I've taken follow up shots but the deer was down from the first...

rifle02

My opinion of the 742 is if it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet it probably has a rusted chamber. That rifle generally works like it looks. The problem was people tended to clean them from the muzzle. the cleaning brush would blast all the crud from the barrel against the chamber wall where it hardened, collected moisture and caused the chamber to be pitted. I have seen literally dozens of them that a fired shell would stick in the chamber to the point that the extractor would rip a chunk out of the rim. Using a bore snake was really the only good way to clean that rifle.
If the particular rifle that you have has a good chamber keep it clean and dry and it should be good to go for many more years.

Latest posts