Reloading / chronograph questions

sneakboxer

The wind died down enough to try out my new chrony. I thought that a chrony would shed a new light on loading and it did. But i still haven't been able to get my head around all the data.
First i ran a 4 shot string of my hunting load threw the screens and the data was slow but very promising.
165gr Nos BT, 44.5gr RL-15, CCI LR primer, Win necksized brass, and Lee crimp did this.
AVG VEL:2534 SD:2.5 ES:9 GROUP .45in @100yds
What is up with the velocity? I'm shooting a 22in barrel and it was only 25deg out but this seems kinda slow. Nosler lists 2820fps as max velocity on a 44.3gr charge and Lee lists 2780fps over a 45.5gr charge. I'm not looking for any more speed just trying to figure why i'm 200+fps slow and don't have any pressure signs.
Can you recommend any good books on this aspect of loading?
What do you think?

mr.big

the Nosler book is the worst to go by for velocity,,

I have gotten to where I like the Hornady Manual the best,,they use factory rifles with factory barrels to get thier speeds from.

I use to use RL15 and the 165 Sierra in a model 7 with 20 inch bbl,,I used 46.5 grs and got 2720 fps.

I changed to 46 grs Varget last year and dont see as much fall off in cold weather.

with the chronie and watchin your primers and other things I bet you could work up to speed,,but they may be too hot when the weather heats up..

megalomaniac

I think you got a slow barrel or a bad chrono.

I'm not a big fan of just continuining to work up the powder over recommended max until you reach pressure signs on the case just in an attempt to reach published velocities.

Tiny

All the above.. and

The distance you shot over the chrony at.

Differnce in your load vs there book load,ie powder lot,primer type,case,col ect.

One thing I like to do is get as close to possible to my load at least one or 2 boxes of factory ammo,if 2 one is from a different company,and run them first before doing Handloads.

sneakboxer

Thanks for all the comments.
I have a safe good shooting combo so I think i'll keep it for now. I don't think 200fps is worth losing what i got (>.5min groups and a SD of 2.5). I have killed two deer with this load and they never noticed the low velocity.
When it warms up i'll really get after it. This was the first time i used the chrony so maybe i'm part of the bad data. I'm working on some 168 and 178 A-Maxs over R-15 and varget is on my short list of things to get.

I just reviewed my notes and i shot the 165s in the last hour of daylight. Yesterday my chrony started to give me fits about the same time of day. I was working up the ladder at .5gr intervals and getting about 30-75fps at every jump. I refreshed my targets and BSed with the RSO then the chrony showed errors for two strings and two really slow readings on my hottest charge (i'm talking 50fps over what i started at slow).

I guess i'll shoot with a high sun and do a little testing with the 22lr in the lower light periods of the day till i figure out this contraption.
Bad data is worse than no data,
thanks for the help,

Latest posts