relic hunting question

Bone Collector

I was wondering, where do you guys find these arrow heads and the like? I am not asking you to tell me your spots, but what types of places are the best to look?

Creeks, tilled fields? I have always wanted to look, but don;t know where to start.

pressfit

Look down.. and I'm not being smart mouthed.. you would not beleive the places i have found arrow heads.. I never go anywhere I can see dirt or creek gravel that im not scanning the ground for points.. you can walk down any branch that has a gravel bar and probably find a point.. fresh plowed fields are good too.. espically after a rain.. the points really shine then.. no telling the ones I have found tilling gardens.. they are everywhere.. just always keep looking down while walking around.. I had a load of creek gravel spread on my driveway a few years ago and found 2 nice points in it..

catman529

I find em just stopping by gravel bars in creeks sometimes. And plowed fields too. But I don't get out and look for them much, it's more like I just stop to look around for 10 minutes while hunting or fishing. But if I wanted to go look for them hard, I would probably head to a small creek full of gravel and sand.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What pressfit said.

I have found 4 while waiting on a tee box before. 4 seperate times, not all at once.

Most of my searching is in creeks though.
Just walk and look.

Crow Terminator

Evidently the best place in the world to find them is by walking behind me anywhere I go. My wife has found a bunch near and in my boot tracks. That's just me though. I get greedy and try to cover the whole field as fast as I can while she basically goes at a snail pace. I can have her lapped in a field but she finds 10 to my 1.

I'm going to have to give this creek walking stuff a try. I don't know of anywhere though that has a hard bottom or gravel bars...all the places I have access to have mud bottoms or sand bars.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Crow,
In West TN the vast majority of our creeks are mud or sand bottom.
After a big rain you will find areas where the "hard bottom" is exposed and usually has crevices in it that are good spots to look.

When you are in sand, the rocks, or gravel in our area, will pile up in bends or even slight turns of the creek.
Other objects will trap the rock as well.

One of the first arrowheads I ever found was right in the center of an old tire that was filled with gravel.

Basically I just scan as I walk until I walk up on one of these piles of rock, then I get serious about looking.

pressfit

A buddy of a buddy was wade fishing one day and the bank was a straight wall of dirt.. he looked over and saw the tip of a point sticking out of the "wall" he pulled it out and it was about 6 inches long im thinking about 1 1/2 inches wide and maybe 3/16 inch thick.. really thin and perfect... you never know where you will find one..

Bone Collector

They just cleared 20-30 acres of land right in the front of my neighborhood. it is all dirt. wonder if there are any there? also there is a wet weather creek right off the cleared area. right now it has water in it, but it will dry up and is mostly rock and gravel bottom.

in the dog house

The best places I have found are always on the high land side of a creek. Or any old water source, springs, the key to me is always to think what was important to an Indians survival. Southern facing slopes are always good as they warm first and keep in min they had summer camps near rivers-creeks, and winter camps near good hunting land. Like others have said as well, creek bottoms, and not to be smart, but arrow heads are where you find em. Ive found some very nice points in ditches! They are literally EVERY where. Just keep your head down, and its not how much ground you cover, its how well you cover the ground your on. Oh and a good flipping stick is a must, I have found big ones that all you could see was a speck of a flake exposed. So flip every flake you see. you never know whats just below the dirt. Good luck!!

catman529

Bone Collector said:
They just cleared 20-30 acres of land right in the front of my neighborhood. it is all dirt. wonder if there are any there? also there is a wet weather creek right off the cleared area. right now it has water in it, but it will dry up and is mostly rock and gravel bottom.
sure wouldn't hurt to check that out.

geezer

Like in the dog house said a good stick is key, Heres mine... an old golf club minus the head with a 5 inch piece of hard drawn copper drove in the end pf it.
IMAG1505.jpg

I can bend it to any angle I need...

IMAG1507.jpg

Here it is in action...

IMAG1506.jpg

This is what you could flip up with it!

IMAG1446.jpg

Good luck BC, and if and when you find one or a bunch be sure and post em cause i cant get enough Arrowheads!!!

Latest posts