Reelfoot questions

TNLynn

Thinking about going to reelfoot sometime next few days. I have a couple aluminum boats, but thinking about not taking one and renting one and taking a trolling motor. Only interested in stump, lily pad or any fishing that doesn't require trolling. Never been. Looking for ANY information or suggestions. What part of lake to fish on? Places to stay? Bring boat or not? Etc!!

TNCharlie

I can't give any recent fishing advice but I can suggest that you rent a boat. It's been a few years ago but when I went to RF I rented a boat/motor and took a trolling motor. I'm sure plenty of people that are familiar with the lake take their own boats but I won't risk it. You will hit stumps because they are just under the surface where you can't see them.

I think that the boats I rented had a guard of some sort to help protect the motor.

You will see blue herons that appear to be standing on the water but they are actually standing on a stump just beneath the surface. The locals call them "Jesus birds". :)

X-Tennessean

Me personally, I use my own boat. Yes you are going to hit a stump......
Idle ONLY!!
I was just on it in a 50k plus Caymas (friends) couple weeks ago and yes we hit a stump or two. You will see people running wide open but they evidently know the boat lanes very well.....not me!!
I was crappie fishing and put in at Whites Landing.

blueball

Me personally, I use my own boat. Yes you are going to hit a stump......
Idle ONLY!!
I was just on it in a 50k plus Caymas (friends) couple weeks ago and yes we hit a stump or two. You will see people running wide open but they evidently know the boat lanes very well.....not me!!
I was crappie fishing and put in at Whites Landing.
Did you fish with petty

TNLynn

Decided to take my 18ft g3 115 yamaha. I'm sure I will never be above idle. Don't like idea of no livebox and having to bring trolling motor, anchor, no depth finder etc. Putting old prop on and may even put a old stump jumper I took off of another boat. Attaches on skeg with couple screws. Any additional info appreciated.

mike243

Stayed at the state park a few years ago in September, the place next door has a boat launch, seen a few boats take off and about crapped the first time or 12 I heard them hit stumps leaving the launch, most of the time they would just look back to make sure the motor was still there never heard them throttle down lol

Latest posts