Reelfoot Lake Advice

east_tn_gk

I have a group of guys that I take an annual fishing trip with. We were thinking about trying out Reelfoot this year. We'd be targeting crappie and bluegill, looking at Spring/early summer. None of us have been, so we're thinking about going with one of those "package" deals from a resort that generally include lodging, boat, bait etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any advice is appreciated. I trust this forum far more than Google reviews lol.

Buzzard Breath

I've been one time, a few years ago, so you'll probably get better advise from someone else. We stayed at Gray's Camp and had a good time. The cabins and boats were "rustic" but worked. We went in early May and the was a horrible storm that came through and shut the fishing down. The cabins are block, so were felt more than safe in them. It's not a place I'd take my wife, but for a couple guys, it was great. I'm planning in getting back up there this June, camping at the state park, and fly fishing for bluegills out out my little one man boat.

mike243

Stayed at the state park a few years ago and enjoyed it, Liked watching boats take off next door at a resort, quit often they hit stumps withing 100y of taking off, a prop shop does a lot of business around there I bet 🤣

mike243

Thats the 1 right beside the state park I think where they were leaving out and hitting stumps

TheLBLman

Reelfoot can be a very tough lake for those not familiar with it, and the conditions change daily, maybe more on Reelfoot than most lakes. One Reelfoot fishery that seems a bit overlooked is catfish. This lake is chock full of catfish.

If you've never been fishing there before, probably worth the investment to hire a reputable guide.

It's not a place I'd take my wife . . . .

But if your wife (or girlfriend or daughter) is an avid fishermen, and the main trip purpose is actually fishing, Reelfoot could be an excellent choice. It just can be "tough" fishing in a lot of very different ways compared to most TN lakes. It's much like going out on the Everglades, and non-outdoors-types can be freaked out with fears of unknowns. Looks like there should be a big cottonmouth or alligator at every turn, and it can seem your boat is about to capsize from hitting a stumps FREQUENTLY.

Just generally speaking, for those unfamiliar with the lake, the best bet for catching fish is typically going to be bluegills, although catfish might be right in there as well.

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

Reelfoot can be a very tough lake for those not familiar with it, and the conditions change daily, maybe more on Reelfoot than most lakes. One Reelfoot fishery that seems a bit overlooked is catfish. This lake is chock full of catfish.

If you've never been fi

But if your wife (or girlfriend or daughter) is an avid fishermen, and the main trip purpose is actually fishing, Reelfoot could be an excellent choice. It just can be "tough" fishing in a lot of very different ways compared to most TN lakes. It's much like going out on the Everglades, and non-outdoors-types can be freaked out with fears of unknowns. Looks like there should be a big cottonmouth or alligator at every turn, and it can seem your boat is about to capsize from hitting a stumps FREQUENTLY.

Just generally speaking, for those unfamiliar with the lake, the best bet for catching fish is typically going to be bluegills, although catfish might be right in there as well.
Excellent point with catfish. We caught several nice ones while fishing for bluegills.

My comment about not taking the wife was in reference to Gray's Camp not Reelfoot Lake. The shatter in our cabin was separated from the kitchen/living space by a shower curtain, no door. There are much nicer places there that I'd take her.

rsimms

There are several good places at Reelfoot, but I agree with suggestions to check our Blue Bank Resort (https://www.bluebankresort.com/). Owner Mike Hayes has made numerous dramatic upgrades and improvements to Blue Bank in recent years. Their restaurant is top notch and many of the best guides on the lake routinely work with Blue Bank. Regardless of where you stay, Reelfoot is a "must do" adventure for every outdoorsman (or woman).

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Regardless of where you stay, Reelfoot is a "must do" adventure for every outdoorsman (or woman).
Agree.

And for those vacationing with family, with whom all are not avid fishermen, consider the following:

1) Stay at one of the new hotels beside Discovery Park in nearby Union City;

2) Take the family on one of the organized tours of Reelfoot Lake.

3) The next day, those who want to fish, go fishing at Reelfoot; those who don't, spend the day at Discovery Park.

Jon54

I have a group of guys that I take an annual fishing trip with. We were thinking about trying out Reelfoot this year. We'd be targeting crappie and bluegill, looking at Spring/early summer. None of us have been, so we're thinking about going with one of those "package" deals from a resort that generally include lodging, boat, bait etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any advice is appreciated. I trust this forum far more than Google reviews lol.
The head naturalist for the park is a guy named David Haggard. He lives there, is an avid outdoorsman and knows as much about the park as anyone. You might be able to find him thru the park office.

I hire him occasionally to tour me and my camera around the park. My contact is thru Facebook. During fishing season, he regularly posts pics of fish he caught after work.

tanasirivertea

Its been said already, but I've been to Reelfoot 4 times. Stayed at Blue Bank twice. Stayed at other facilities the two other times. Bluebank had the best overall experience with boats, lodging etc. Also they had a deckhand that advised us on a spot early one morning. Came back at 10am with the biggest, fattest bream and bluegill you ever seen! This all occurred in mid May

east_tn_gk

Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely look into Blue Bank and watch out for those stumps. This would be a trip for guys who are fisherman (loosely defined) but the family points are noted.

hoghunter65

Been several years ago since I've been up there, had reservations at Hamilton's resort, got there around 5am looked around and the place was falling apart, went on to Blue Bank Resort, and explained to them we needed a place to stay, they put us in a room at the motel the first night and we were able to get a cabin for the next three days , great guys to deal with.

Levee Jumper

I would do as much DIY as possible. In terms of going and not knowing anything about the lake, I would go around the first to middle of May to catch the staging/beginning of the bluegill spawn and run yo-yo's at night for catfish. You can catch all the catfish you want on nightcrawler and yoyo's. Jig fishing the cypress trees in 3-5 ft of water on a grizzly jig tipped a wax worm will catch you several big bluegill and an occasional male crappie at the tail end of the spawn.

I would refrain from trying to catch crappie in open water on the lower end out of a rental boat. Drifting with the wind with poles out the side turns completely disastrous in the wind and stumps.

If you do get a rental boat, don't be the guy that yells for help because his motor will not crank, and its just the kill switch lol.

TheLBLman

Reelfoot is the best big lake in TN for big bowfin.

Last edited:

West_Tn

Reelfoot is the best big lake in TN for big bowfin.

I caught one a couple years ago probably pushing 8lbs or so. Pretty fun to catch.

Latest posts