Red Beans and rice w/andouie sausage

LA man

get u a can of blue runner redbeans, doctor it up with a sautaied onion and some spices. serve over rice with smoked sausage. blue runner beans are as good of beans i ever ate.

bowriter

R.I.P.
There is a very easy way to make red beans and rice. I make mine from scratch. But in almost any store you can find Zatarains mix in a box-pretty good. Now adoulie sausage may be hard to find. Blue runner beans are also hard to find but there are other great beans. I have started using black beans. Now you can also fine chop Hillshire farms smoked sausage...not that turkey crap.

Brown your sausage and finely chopped onion-red onions and when the meat is brown, add the rice and stir it in well. Then add you beans and water and simmer. I prefer to mix mine rather than serve over rice. Don't use too much sausage, all you want it the flavor.

LA man

redblood said:
Where do you find that brand?? Haven't seen it them at the local market?

I ACTUALLY FOUND SOME AT THE LOCAL DOLLAR GENERAL STORE. BUT I MOSTLY GO GET A CASE WHILE IM IN LOUISIANA, AND I THINK KROGERS SELLS THEM

redblood

The red beans was poured over the rice not mixed with it like the zatarains. I will check our dg store for blue runners. I am still looking for andouie but will try the smoked sausage if I can't find it.

bowriter

R.I.P.
The smoked sausage is common. I like Hillshire Farms. Just be sure it is pork, not that turkey crap. Now you can kick it upn a notch by smoking on the grill before cutting up. Be sure and chop it finely. Same with the onions.

Zatarains comes two ways, mixed with the rice or with no rice. Personally, I like mine mixed in so the rice absorbs the flavor. But as I said, I make mine from scratch. I use long grain Mahattma when I can find it. Not too much sausage and not too much onion. All you want is the flavor. 3-4 inchesof very finely chopped sausag and equal amount of onion is perfect.

Sometimes, in the summer, you can get andoulie at the farmers market here. I have mine sent to me from LA.

God! I'm hungry!

JimFromTN

Harris Teeter has fresh smoked andoilli sausage on their meat counter. Its actually not a bad price either. You can sometimes get it for $3.99 a lb. Publix also has it but its in the section with smoke sausages. The brand that publix has is very spicey which I like allot but Harris Teeter is probably more traditional.

I wish someone would carry Tasso ham. When I was in LA, I stopped off in a market and found that they made it themselves. I bought everything they had. It was so good. I could just eat it by itself.

JimFromTN

I got it down in Louisiana. The market I got it at, had a smoker out back. They also had some different types of smoked sausages. I got some of that too. There was a butcher shop here in Nashville that said they got it in sometimes but it was around $11 a pound. I have seen it on line for $6.50 a pound plus shipping. I tried to make it myself once. It was ok at best. I think if I worked at it, I could eventually make it good.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/tasso-pork-poches-p-363.html

JimFromTN

The stuff from publix is kind of overpowering. Don't know if I would really call it andoulli. I have only gotten it once. I realized when I first tasted it how strong it was and I can understand why you would not like it seeing as you were probably expecting real andoulli. My expectations were low. I was just happy they had something other than just smoked sausage. When I cooked with it, I cut it up into small cubes and used it sparingly. It worked out pretty good for me on one count. 1/2 of a pound seasoned an entire pot of beans. I used the other half on another dish and all it tasted like was that sausage so it will take over a dish if you are not careful. It almost needs to be used like a spice.

jb3

I only go to whole foods every other month, but they have a good selection of meats and would think they'd have tasso.

jb3

Hey Jim, not sure what part of Nashville you're in, but Lazzaroli in the Germantown area (next to farmer's market) has some 'Guanciale'. It's bacon made from the pigs cheeks/jowls. I've yet to purchase any or even ask how much it cost, but looks interesting. They get it from a butcher/market in Seattle, 'Salumi' (sp). The family that runs it, 'Batali', same as Mario Batali. Got some smoked paprika salami from there during the holidays and it was awesome. They said Mario's father made it.

JimFromTN

That's about 15 minutes from my house. I will definitely have to check them out. I love carbonara which I think is traditionally made with guanciale. I'll be curious to see if I don't choke at the price and keep using regular old bacon. I love ethnic markets.

If you are ever going out charlotte ave away from town and you see a sign for K&S market, you should stop and check it out. They are about a mile past white bridge rd going out of town. It used to be the old Krogers up on the hill. Its a world type market. Nothing European, but it has everything else.

jb3

yeah, k&s is pretty cool. i grew in charlotte park, just down the street. if you like pho, the vietnamese place up there by it has some of the best around.

bowriter

R.I.P.
In true Italian cooking, which I can't do for crap, many types of meat are made from the pig's head. I can't spell or pronounce it but they make sasuage from the head that is flat awesome.

But that is not totally Italian in origin. Back in the 1800's hogs heads were packed in salt and shipped by steamboat up and down the rivers. That is where the term "Hogshead" came from when talking about wooden barrels. Ducks were also shipped the same way. The market hunters killed them, their wives picked them and they were packed in salt and shipped by river to New Orleans to the Frank wharehouse. From there they went to New Yawk and other cities.

Probably more than you needed to know.

JimFromTN

yeah, k&s is pretty cool. i grew in charlotte park, just down the street. if you like pho, the vietnamese place up there by it has some of the best around.

I have never eaten at that vietnamese place but I have at the one down on charlotte just around the corner. I have eaten at the Thai place that is in the little strip mall thats up there on the hill with K&S. Its pretty good. The little Thai market next to it has some good stuff too. I got some of that Cafe Du Mon chickory coffee there cheaper than they had it at the shop where they make it down in NOLA.

JimFromTN

bowriter said:
In true Italian cooking, which I can't do for crap, many types of meat are made from the pig's head. I can't spell or pronounce it but they make sasuage from the head that is flat awesome.

But that is not totally Italian in origin. Back in the 1800's hogs heads were packed in salt and shipped by steamboat up and down the rivers. That is where the term "Hogshead" came from when talking about wooden barrels. Ducks were also shipped the same way. The market hunters killed them, their wives picked them and they were packed in salt and shipped by river to New Orleans to the Frank wharehouse. From there they went to New Yawk and other cities.

Probably more than you needed to know.

I love the different italian bacons but I hate it when you have to $5 for 2 oz. I love cooking and eating italian. I don't think there is any ethnic food I won't eat.

The history lesson gives new meaning to hogshead cheese.

Latest posts