Recommend me a pack

wiles

Another EXO fan, I have the 3500 and like it so much I carry around Tn for my day pack. Got my first chance to pack a deer out with it this year on KS public land and it lived up to the hype! Get the meat shelf if you buy this pack, worth the $ to slide quarters between the frame and bag

Huntaholic

I went to Colorado elk hunting in 1994. After killing an elk and seeing how the outfitter did it, I bought a cabelas Alaskan packframe before going back the following year. It is a better design that what the outfitter was using and Im still using it 24 years later! I added a backpack to the frame via the straps and buckles provided and it works well enough that this past year in Montana I carried a whole deboned mule deer out in one trip with it. Was I overloaded? ABSOLUTELY! I weigh 155lbs and Im almost certain I had close to that amount on my back coming out of that HELLHOLE! I couldn't stand up straight climbing out of there or I would have toppled over backwards. To rest I had to turn around and fall back into the mountain side, but I wasn't about to make that 1400 yard climb twice. Im sure it helps that Im a logger used to climbing hills lol.

RockChucker30

LanceS4803":1c0dhdov said:
AT Hiker":1c0dhdov said:
Stone Glacier here, before that I used a internal frame Kelty. For hauling meat I much prefer the load shelf of the Stone Glacier.
If hauling meat is your motive then keep a load shelf in mind.

From what I've heard, they have the best weight to strength ratio.
I listened to a podcast and the designer is almost fanatical about removing any extraneous stuff from the pack.

I work for Seek Outside and can say that our packs are the lightest on the market that can haul 150+ lbs. Even the packs we design for the rec market have the same suspension as the hunting packs.

We have several setups that would be sub 3 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

I have a packframe with a shelf. It can carry a whole lot more than I can lift. I tried to get two elk hindquarters out at once and it was too heavy for me to walk across uneven ground. (thats a joke, I could barely stand up)

I am currently using a backback but seems to me they are not designed for carrying unwieldy clumsy things, like hindquarters or midsections. When I was going into the mountains I would wear my packframe and a small fanny pack. And yes, one time that proved to be a problem....I needed more water, more food, a blanket...

My packframe is ancient-I mean mid 1980's. I just checked straps and things--all okay. It is welded tubing very very light. Adjustable in about 8 directions seems like.

Mattt

So I was using a kelty. Working out west the last few months I decided to step it up. Sg and exo are real nice. I went with kifaru. I've got about 30 miles on it so far and am extremely pleased.

Stretcher_Jockey

I have a MR Metcalf. The thing is bomb proof. I use it for day hunts here at home compressed down and could easily use it for an 8-10 day pack in elk hunt if necessary. It's on the higher end when it comes to pricing but it's a top notch piece of equipment. Here's an awesoem stress test video comparing many different packs.

https://www.gohunt.com/video/backpack-t ... gs.sOsi6U8

Stretcher_Jockey

AT Hiker":2f4lyfpr said:
MR are legit packs but to many options for me. In Bozeman, MT I tried one on and it was nice but I still prefer my SG.

Man I checked both out before purchasing and it was really apples to apples for me. SG are most definitely top notch as well. As silly as it is the decision for me just came down to preferring the look of my Metcalf over the SG as everything else for me personally was so close it was negligible.

Gray Ghost

scn":1xo3n6y4 said:
I've seen Tenzing packs referenced in this thread, and just had this sale item come in: https://www.wingsupply.com/packed-full- ... to+start.+

I tried to buy a used (almost new) Tenzing to use as an elk pack from a guy on another forum that had it up for sale. He wouldn't sell it to me because that's what he had bought it for and it wasn't up to par with others that cost a little more. I appreciated his honesty! Pack (and boots) is your lifeblood on a backcountry hunting trip.

BlackEagle1

I have a tenzing that I purchased before my Metcalf. The tenzing isn't up to par with the other packs listed, and their customer service is terrible.

Latest posts