Boot recommendation

dgolden

I'm looking at upgrading my boots for my Colorado and eventual Montana elk hunts.
I have worn Under Armour Hovr for 3 seasons and they are super comfortable, but did not do well in the snow. Mid way through last season I wore holes in the sides of them.

I'm looking at Kentrek and Crispi. Have about a $550 budget. Any advice?

Redfox

Both are really stiff outta the box and take a lot of miles to break. I absolutely hated my kenetreks. they had severe heel slip and it felt like I was standing on a golf ball in the arch of my feet. That being said, I know guys that love the fit and give great reviews. I think they are very equal in quality if they fit and you like a boot that's insanely stiff.

dgolden

Both are really stiff outta the box and take a lot of miles to break. I absolutely hated my kenetreks. they had severe heel slip and it felt like I was standing on a golf ball in the arch of my feet. That being said, I know guys that love the fit and give great reviews. I think they are very equal in quality if they fit and you like a boot that's insanely stiff.
Thanks! I really don't care for a stiff boot, but do need stiffer than what I've been wearing. Any other suggestions?

Redfox

Those things are like ski boots.
I prefer a soft boot myself so I went back to what I know, Danner. I only buy the American made ones tho. If I could get the Canadian in no insulation I wouldn't ever have to boot shop again. The miles I have booked wearing those, the old 10 inch elk hunters, and fort Lewis would be a scary number. But they aren't for everyone I guess.

tree_ghost

I love my kenetreks. They took me a few wears to get used to the arch in the sole but one I did I consider them one of my most valuable pieces of hunting gear. The quality of my hunts is directly effected by my ability to stay comfortable and alert I I can't do that if my feet are wet, cold, and hurting.

Hduke86

I went the Crispi route and yes they are stiff BUT they're are supposed to be stiff for the most part. A stiff boot sold helps carry your load easier and more stable on your feet. It helps from wearing the loving mess out of your calf muscles. I love a lightweight and flexible boot and I have a pair of Oboz Bridgers that are perfect for hunting but NOT for rugged heavy load mountain hunting.

TNRifleman

I would really try to try them all on if at all possible as boots are really an individual fit. Crispi, Kenetrek, Zamberlan, etc are great brands. I prefer the fit of Zamberlan but I also wear Salomon Quest GT XD4 boots which are super comfortable and great if its not too cold.

TNRifleman

Also, with any quality boot, you need to plan on at least 15-20 miles of walking/hiking in them to break them in. They will generally all come somewhat stiff and need to be broken in to your foot.

ThorThor

Crispi Summit are my all around boot out west. Kenetrek 400g if it is cold, like never above 32 cold. When I am here being a lazy whitetail hunter sitting in a tree it is Mucks.

Mattt

I thought kennetreks took almost no break in and are almost too soft. Wore them out just replaced with a set of schnees which are on sale right now. They're stiffer for sure. Have a pair of lowas I like a lot for work. They're so stiff it's hard to drive in them. The schnees work for work also. That tells me a lot. I can wear them 10-12 hours with no fatigue.

AT Hiker

I thought kennetreks took almost no break in and are almost too soft. Wore them out just replaced with a set of schnees which are on sale right now. They're stiffer for sure. Have a pair of lowas I like a lot for work. They're so stiff it's hard to drive in them. The schnees work for work also. That tells me a lot. I can wear them 10-12 hours with no fatigue.
The 80mph speed limit in WY has saved me a few times. Driving in my Lowas makes my lead foot even heavier.

Latest posts