Colorado outfitter recommendation

J-Bar-H outfitters . Miss Jeanne hunts unit 12 outside craig. She has drop camps for archery and rifle. I think you have to have at least four people and no more than
six. I have been with her twice one rifle and one archery and was successful both times. Saw lots of elk and almost zero other hunters. Archery is a draw it takes four years for a nonresident to draw second and third rifle you can buy over the counter. Check her website and you can see what she has open, hurry she fills up fast.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I will let you know when I get back in 3 weeks from J Bar H. We are doing a drop camp for 2nd rifle season. Bags are packed and we leave monday.

gtk

Staff member
If someone had an extra 5k laying around, and was in a position to just pack up and go, JBar has last minute opening for 2nd rifle for 2 people. Bull, Cow , or both available. I bet you could call and get a better deal than the $4800 asking price.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Got to Russel Ks tonight. Got pulled over for cooler blocking license plate on the hitch haul. Mule just dirt rolled my ass in the corral, crazy thing is scared of her own shadow. Now I'm going to look for a Chinese massage parlor to rub this knot out my back from where the mule stepped on me :evil: and I'm going to bed.

Be in the mtns tomorrow afternoon.

ShortMountain91

UPSman":1ymad23l said:
Got to Russel Ks tonight. Got pulled over for cooler blocking license plate on the hitch haul. Mule just dirt rolled my ***** in the corral, crazy thing is scared of her own shadow. Now I'm going to look for a Chinese massage parlor to rub this knot out my back from where the mule stepped on me :evil: and I'm going to bed.

Good luck man. Here's my bull from archery season this year for some motivation. Go get em!
1c5379a900b7e000272f27e366354a65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

ShortMountain91":1x1xulf3 said:
UPSman":1x1xulf3 said:
Got to Russel Ks tonight. Got pulled over for cooler blocking license plate on the hitch haul. Mule just dirt rolled my ***** in the corral, crazy thing is scared of her own shadow. Now I'm going to look for a Chinese massage parlor to rub this knot out my back from where the mule stepped on me :evil: and I'm going to bed.

Good luck man. Here's my bull from archery season this year for some motivation. Go get em!
1c5379a900b7e000272f27e366354a65.jpg

Congrats!

How about a story to go along with the pic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Awesome! Supposed to snow here Friday night Saturday morning. 65 stinking degrees here now.

ShortMountain91

Buzzard Breath":1x0x4upo said:
How about a story to go along with the pic.

For sure. So I had 8 days to hunt if need be. Day 1 I set up base camp and hunt over water in the afternoon. Hear some but not much else. Day 2 I go back to the same water hole but hear one and get to chasing him. That bull eventually shuts up and I hear about on the opposite hillside. Get after him and get within what sounds like 300 yards but the wind switches and I run out of daylight. Day 3 I put in some serious miles. Biggest part of the day is I see a bull bedded down (first picture) with a spike raking a tree. They're in some thick scrub brush but I try and work around to them. Going through as quiet as I can and suddenly a different bull I never seen pops out 10 yards and is staring me down. Draw back the bow and he busts down the hill. This runs out the bull I was after. Hunt till dark then 3 miles back to he truck. Ended the day with over 14 miles of rough terrain. Day 4 get up super early and climb to the top of the mountain to get a good view of the area and try to intercept any bulls working up to their bed. Don't immediately find any so start working the finger ridges coming off the main ridge I'm on. Eventually spot a nice bull (2nd picture) on the next over finger ridge. Watch him till he gets in the trees and make my move. Once I get over there I'm just slowly working toward the trees he went into. See antlers over the top of the brush coming right toward me. Get behind a bush and range a nearby bush that he's going toward at 30 yards. He comes right where I expect and I get my bow drawn. He stops right behind the tree I ranged. I can see his head and neck but vitals are completely blocked. We have a stare down at full draw for what feels like forever and he eventually doesn't like what he sees and turns around and goes the opposite direction around the tree. Pops out the other side and I think I have a shot. Let it fly and see the arrow fletching chocolate chip cookie a weird way. Don't know if I hit a branch or clean miss but the bull runs off and stops at 110 yards and I can tell he's fine. He goes over the hill and bugles as a final goodbye. This is the low part of the hunt. The afternoons a bust. Day 5 I head back to the same area but before I even start up the mountain I hear 2 bulls in the bottom with me while it's still pitch black dark. Work 2 of them in the dark for about an hour. It's about 20 min into legal shooting light and a truck comes rolling up and busts out both of those bulls. Wish the dude would've just slept in if he was gonna come in that late. As I can see better I realize there's some more guys in there also. The place I had to myself the day before is now got at least 5 hunters including myself. Head to a new spot for the after and after a few miles in bump a small bull. Keep working the top of the hill and get a response. Long story short I call to this bull and 2 others from noon till almost dark and he's talking but doesn't want to come in. About a hour until the end of shooting light a 4 wheeler comes riding down the ridge line I'm on. Dude sees me and leaves and I still talk to that bull till dark but he never comes in. That evening doubt starts creeping in and I start to feel like I missed my chance from day 4. Can't sleep thinking I might eat this tag. Day 6 try a new spot. Start up the canyon and hear a couple. Plan to get up high and cut them off as they work up. I'm in a big pretty open grassy draw and one sounds decently close. It's shooting light now and I set up behind a big tree and start calling. This bull bugles and sounds like he's within 300 yards. Up to this point multiple bulls had been answering calls but nothing was coming in. I thought of it like turkey hunting where in the morning you can get them to gobble but getting them to come in is a different story. Anyway this time with this bull is different. But some cow calls and he comes on a rope running in. Stops at 25 yards on his own and he's standing where I think he's just slightly quartering toward me. Put the pin behind the shoulder and let it fly. Hear that thump when you know your arrow smacks something. He runs maybe 15 yards and stops perfectly broadside like nothing happened. I knock another arrow and he's still standing there. Draw back then he takes off over the hill. Feel great about the shot. Go over and look for my arrow and blood. Can't find either and get a little nervius. It was early and the ground was moist so I can see his tracks pretty good. Track him for about 50 yards and find a pin drop of blood. Relief that I definitely hit this bull. Go another 40 or so yards on his tracks and it looks like he opens up and starts pouring. Track him to the edge of the draw I originally worked up. Pull up the binos and I'm pretty sure I see him laying dead in the bottom of the draw. Get really excited. Left some stuff back toward where I shot him so I go pick that up and get back over to the edge of the draw and pull up the binos again and now the bull is not where I was pretty sure I saw him laying. Go down to where I thought I seen him laying and I see him moving through the woods. He's not running. Moving more like a horse walking through a field. Seeing this I knew he was fatally wounded but decided to give it time. I just sit right for am hour and a half then get back on his trail. Find him piled up dead about 30 yards from where I bumped him. Finally get to put my hands on my first ever elk. Funny thing is at times I was several miles from the truck but since I got on this bull before getting up the hill I was only 1200 yards from the truck when I shot him and he went 400 yards toward the truck. Only had an 800 yard packout and all downhill. Doubt it will ever happen like that again! It was a really amazing hunt with highs and lows but an amazing place where I got to encounter a lot of elk. Can't wait to do it again.
f07a2cfd8be127d4e61a9b6863a088b8.jpg
28f3c85215126f31696b53377398e998.jpg
ec51e6d58df125fc61d5ddfc4a777d16.jpg
1106fb7489f63976d1149c1be6748533.jpg

ShortMountain91

Forgot to mention when I got to the elk I seen the entry hole was picture perfect but the exit hole was farther back than I wanted. He was quartering harder than I thought when I let it fly. Only got single lung and liver which explains why he went the 400 yards

Buzzard Breath

Awesome story!! Congrats again.

Sept 22 must have been a pretty good day for us TN bowhunters.

082dfa0f319894e3159aeaf28c4c1f4a.jpg

By the time I got my camera out, my Sept notch had blown out of WY and was probably halfway across SD. [emoji3]

ShortMountain91

Wow no kidding! I don't know about you but that was when it was really starting to heat up where I was. Talked to some other guys who were just starting to have some success calling around that time

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I really liked Jeanne of J Bar H when I talked to her, but she was not available for the dates that I was looking at. I would not have hesitated to use her.

My dad and I used Welder Outfitters not far from Jeanne and were very pleased. Shawn Welder was a little cheaper, as well, and I would highly recommend him. He will tell you that he is not a trophy operation, but they have a lot of elk in the wilderness that they hunt in, and kill a few really good bulls every year. I had a great bull in my sights almost as soon as I got off of the horse on opening morning, but never had a clear shot and I had to pass. Killed a decent 5x5 at 12:30 that afternoon instead.

Latest posts