Elk hunt recommendations ?

Dolan82

My dad , brother , and I are wanting to go on a elk hunt in 2 years. My dad us getting up there in age and it is something he has always wanted to do. My question is does anyone recommend a certain state or outfitter. We are try to decide if we want to do a guided hunt or hunt public property. We don't want to spend a fortune. And advise would be great.

hunter0925

My dad and I are going to CO this year for our first elk hunt. Elk hunts are not cheap whether you go guided or on a do it your self hunt. We decided on guided hunt because we have never been before and would rather learn a little before trying to strike out on our own. Co is the only state (that I know of) that offers over the counter license sales and they also have the highest elk population out of any other state. While the elk are not usually as big as they can be in other states the chances of me getting one and for a cheaper price are in my favor. I researched outfitters and set a price that my dad and I were willing to spend and then contacted each outfitter that was in our range asking each a series of questions and writing down responses. I did'nt want a guaranteed hunt but did want good odds. The outfitter that we decided on is Mountainviewadventures.net. He is a retired marine (I am also so that may be a reason for being biased a little) and has been operating in the area for over 20yrs. His success ratio is 75% which all in all is pretty good considering some people miss and others will pass bulls waiting for a monster. He seemed very honest and even offered to answer questions for me about other outfitters info should I decide to go with them instead of his own.Just a starting point for you but if your dad is getting up there in age and you think this may be the only hunt you are able to go on together then I would go outfitted if at all possible. If you have any questions for me then just ask and I will do my best to answer or find one.

SALTMAN

Doland82 , how much is a fortune for you has a lot to do with it. First time I reccommend a guide also. Gun or Bow ? DIY is pretty tough unless you have a lot of time , usually two weeks min. Year fore last went to Southern Co , hot dry no responseto bugles, Last year went to N. Co. Dry hot weather followed me. With the global warming I don't expect to see much change. I talked to some that went to the north and killed, I could have taken a good bull in S. part of the state if I was gun/mz hunting . Little tougher with a bow. Looks like I'm going to NM this year , kinda pricey , but like yolur dad I don't have too many years left to achieve the top item on my bucket list. Done it with a MZ in UT, putting off buying a new vehicle to go to NM if that tells you anything. its my olympic dream !Ask for recent hunters phone numbers, if you are going with a guide , both successful and non . Then call every one of them ! Good luck.

Dolan82

Thanks guys. I want to stay under 5,000. And we want to go after them with a bow. I have never been on a guided hunt before. I don't like the idea of having my hand held but maybe the first time we will use a guide. I guess I just need to do a ton of research and figure out what everyone wants.

SALTMAN

D82 , trust me its not holding your hand. Having a warm bed , warm food cooked by someone else leaves you a lot more time to hunt, plus the guides know the area and you might spend a week maybe more just trying to get on a bull , DIY. Nothing against it , but do it on your next hunt . make the first one memorable and hopefully successful especially for your Dad. Do your homework , there are a number of outfitters available at that price in Co.

Dolan82

Saltman. I wasn't sure how it was to be guided. I was afraid it would be like a pay whitetail hunt. Where they take you out put you in a stand and tell you what you can and can not afford to shoot. But yeah having a warm bed and food cooked sounds better than doing it myself.

I have one other question. What does it cost to ship your meat and your horns back home ?

hunter0925

From what I have heard from outfitters and other hunters it is fairly expensive. Imo it will be cheaper and easier to drive. My guide actually recomended that we drive because of the shipping costs and the possibility of guns being damaged (or bow in your case) and luggage being lost. The drive will be a long one for sure (we are figuring 28 hours) but we will transport all of our equipment to and from and within our sight. Also since there are 2 of us going we will be able to switch off drivers when the other becomes tired. I am in no way an expert on this matter but am just giving my honest opinions.

tickweed

Been fifteen times to Colorado, we take a chest type deep freeze, doesnt work, but we bring our meat back with dry ice. Never had a problem, drive isnt bad out, but a little long coming home, cause you are worn out. We leave Jackson,Tn., stop at Lamberts for a meal,and can be in Denver in 20-21 hours easy, non-stop.Then about 5 more hours once we get in Mts. to camp. In bow season, we take our meat to town and let a processer keep it in a cooler till time to come home. Not expensive at all. Going back in late Sept. bowhuntin again. Never been guided in Colorado. You will have a ball. Good luck!

Crosshairy

Everyone that I know that hunts Colorado does the driving thing, or teams up with someone in a group that drives and carries gear while others on tighter schedules fly.

That's the main reason for me why I haven't thought about hunting closer to the West coats. I've heard that Washington State has some giant elk and good hunting, but it's just so dang far.

I had read some recommendations from folks a couple of years ago that talked about buying a big cooler at Walmart after killing an elk, then deboning and packing the cooler with meat and dry ice, then wrapping it up and bringing it on the plane as a checked bag. They said that the over-weight baggage fee was worth it compared to shipping, and helped with the logistics overall.

I've read about the airlines cracking down on that type of thing since then, so you should definitely contact the airline prior to making plans for something like that.

Daff

I have made several trips to montana for elk all DIY. Never done the guided thing partially because I have relaties that live in MT. On my first trip I learned one thing altitude and lack of physical preparedness are a bad combination. I would reccomend doing what ever you can to prepare phsyically for the trip. DIY hunts everything is up to you and your crew getting a 700 pound animal out of the mtns is tough back packs or game carts and lung/leg power. It's well worth the trouble though about to apply for a license again! Good luck

Dolan82

Thanks tickweed. We are going to go unguided there are so many game management units with out going out and looking it's hard to decide which one to put in for.

SALTMAN

Dolan82 , what all the guys above said. Cept maybe checking in dryice on a flight. there are regulations against that and these days I wouldn't want to get caught.
I boned out my last one, went to the closest fire dept and packed it full of ice. Wife with me so we took 3 days getting home and ice still on top when I got home . I did drain the bloody water each night in motel parking lot . The cooler is expensive but it will last a life time. I actually enjoy the ride. I drove by myself last two years. Usually stop at motel and sleep a few hours one night. If you stop at motel/wallyworld at night etc, be aware the local thiefs look for out of state vehicles, they know they are full of good stuff ! I buy driveway alerts ( on sale at harbor freight for $13 ) put in my vehicle take the receiver (wireless) into the room with me. Get a downstairs outside room where you can park in your door practically ! pistol on the nightstand , problem solved. If you have a pickup with topper/shell use two . If my draw goes well , I will be on horseback 5 hrs into the wilderness, if it goes bad I will be travelling in a truck or on atv, easier but not as many quality bulls,, unspooked ! Maybe I can get on a blind , dumb one .Already excited, now for the exercise, shooting to get in shape hopefully !

elkman

Take a freezer with you and process your meat. A processor near Pagosa Springs will grind a huge cooler into burger and add beef fat for about $30. Vacuum seal it, put it in freezer and plug up freezer. Once meat is frozen solid, you can unplug it, put a piece of duct tape on the lid and come back home with no issues. If it eases your mind, add some dry ice in the freezer, but lay it on some bath towels or it will burn your meat and it will have an awful taste. We pull horse trailers from Wayne County, stop every six hours to get horses out. We also stop on New Mexico/Texas line for a quick nap and we make it in 26-28 hours usually. Takes a toll on you with the drive.

Latest posts