Recoil question

Dodge Man

I am somewhat of a novice to handguns. My question is dose the grain of the bullets effect the recoil at all? I am buying some different ammunition to try for my wife to practice with. I have bought her a 9mm and a 38 special to have. Just wondering if there is any difference much in ammunition for practice that might be lower recoil.

DaveTN

Bullet weight will effect recoil, but not by much, especially in a 9mm. Gun weight greatly effects recoil. If that .38 Special is a lightweight J-frame she will think she has a cannon in her hand and probably won't like to shoot it, neither will men. Put that same round in an L-frame 686 and it shoots like a cream puff.

Yotehntr

Simple physics, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The heavier the bullet that you're moving the more it kicks. Lighter bullets have less reaction. A heavier gun or an semi automatic absorb some of that reaction but it still boils down to the heavier the bullet the harder the kick.

DaveTN

Sounds like the best option is just to get a larger frame gun for her to shoot more often.
That would be the best option if you want her to enjoy shooting. K or L frame S&W revolvers are very popular for both range and home defense. Small J-frames are very popular for carry because of their concealability. But you probably won't see anyone cranking off 100 or 200 rounds target shooting with one, that's not their application.

skipperbrown

This is where hand loading can make a world of difference. Shooting very light target loads, I call them bunny loads, will greatly reduce recoil, noise, and flash. You will still get a bigger bang over .22 lr and know you are shooting centerfire but the flash, muzzle rise, noise, and palm pain are gone even from an airweight s&w. My wife can easily go through 100 rounds of bunny loads in a session but we keep the full power loads for the last target. She only wants a few of those.

I can't tell the difference in a 125 gr bullet in .38 special vs a 158g, but I can sure tell the difference in a 158 gr .38 special loading vs. a 158g .357 magnum loading in the same gun.

And as noted above, weight is your friend for range time not only for recoil management but also accuracy.

Latest posts