Keltec p17 review/questions

cecil30-30

So I got my p17 yesterday. I've put maybe 150 rounds through it with I think 1 ftf. It's very handy, seems pretty accurate. I can consistently hit a 8 inch steel plate at 20 yds. Today I got it out and was shooting a old piece of paneling. I noticed that some, not all rounds was keyholing. The next mag I loaded and shot did not key hole at all. I let my daughter shoot it and some of hers was keyholing. Could it be the way we are holding the gun? I did notice the muzzle nut keeps coming loose. Could a loose muzzle but cause this? I am shooting 40 gr winchester super x power point. The keyholeing was noticed at about 8-10yds. Im going to do some more experimenting with different ammo before I caulk it up as in needing sent back to keltec. Maybe the ammo?

Attachments

• 20230617_135420.jpg
    20230617_135420.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230617_135414.jpg
    20230617_135414.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 43

grill-n-man2

If the thread protector is coming loose use the wrench in the box and snug it up real good. I would not recommend shooting it without it as the slide may hang on the lip behind the threads. Also try CCI with velocity from standard to around 1250ish. The will shoot a whole whole lot tighter groups than that with the right load

cecil30-30

If the thread protector is coming loose use the wrench in the box and snug it up real good. I would not recommend shooting it without it as the slide may hang on the lip behind the threads. Also try CCI with velocity from standard to around 1250ish. The will shoot a whole whole lot tighter groups than that with the right load
I wasn't shooting for groups. I also tightened it up twice with the supplied wrench, and it worked loose both times. I was thinking of some locktite.

cecil30-30

Just a small update. Got the p17 out again today to verify if it was key holeing or not. It was. I stripped it down and inspected the barrel. It had a large build of up lead at the end of the barrel. I mean some large flakes. Gotnit all clean and lubed up and it is no longer key holeing. Not sure if it came from the factory that way or if it was one of the first rounds that I put through it. But it's clean now.

Carlos

I just picked up one of these as well.
Have you got a holster for yours Cecil?

DaveTN

If you don't mind Kydex, KelTec has a holster for the P17 on their website. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

Carlos

If you don't mind Kydex, KelTec has a holster for the P17 on their website. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

Thank you, I prefer to carry outside the waist.
Not that I'll be carrying this one a lot, but I'd still like a holster for it.

Latest posts