AR Pistol Question

Omega

Does other mean you can do whatever you want? How does that play in to this…
Yes, legally of course. When you buy a new stripped lower, it isn't one or the other yet, but IMO it is best to build it as a pistol first, that way it isn't legally locked in to being a rifle only. I build a pistol, document (picture), then if I am ultimately building a rifle, I do that then. If I buy a used lower, I ask what it was on before to get it's record, because if somewhere down the line it was transferred through an FFL as a rifle, you may have to prove it was a pistol first, which would be nearly impossible to do. It's a stupid law, but the ATF will charge you nonetheless.

UCStandSitter

Does other mean you can do whatever you want? How does that play in to this…
Yes. You can do whatever you want with a stripped lower. That's kinda the point of buying a stripped lower. You can build a pistol and later make it a rifle. However, if you start with a rifle, you have to stay with a rifle. Let's say you take it home and put a 16" barrel on it and normal BCM stock. You have made a rifle. You can't then take that barrel off and put a 10.5" on and a SBA3 brace. Because that would be illegal. Does it seem arbitrary? You'd be right. Welcome to the jacked up world of the ATF. Buncha dog shootin morons...

DaveTN

An AR without a stock than can't be shouldered is useless…IMHO. 🤣 I know many will disagree.

The ATF can, and has, changed their opinions on braces as stocks. You have to keep up with the legalities and the latest drama. After having them (PLR-16, and AR pistol) I decided there are too many other options. Everything is application driven, your application may differ.

Mb423

If you are wanting to build and keep it legal, PSA has some cheap pistol build kits you could go with. Building isn't really cheaper than buying whole, so you could so buy a complete pistol and be done with it.

Latest posts