re finishing a gun?

rem270

just bought my lil bro in law an older savage woodstock 30.06 for his birthday. it has some scratches on it but i got a pretty good deal so i went ahead and bought it. i dont want to give it to him looking like this. if i want to re stain it can i just sand all the scratches down or do i need to sand the whole gun?

knightrider

take it apart and sand down the whole stock,then go over it with a fine grit,i sanded down a savage 110 then, wiped on some cherry finish[didnt use brush]used the spray clear coat and it turned out beautiful

Rowdy

knightrider said:
take it apart and sand down the whole stock,then go over it with a fine grit,i sanded down a savage 110 then, wiped on some cherry finish[didnt use brush]used the spray clear coat and it turned out beautiful
I did that years ago on an old Remington stock, that thing felt smooth as a babys rear till I put the stain to it. The ends of the grain curled up big time. Bet I sanded that thing 15 times or more before it quit doin it....never again for me!

Nhill

Be sure to leave the butt plate or something on it when you are sanding. If you don't, you will round off the edge and it won't fit flush.

pcrc

Am just finishing up an older Remington 552. Stripped the stock using a stripper, sanded it with 120/220/320 grit. Stained it and have applied about 10 coats of Tru-oil thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits out of small spray gun. Used 00 steel wool between each application the next day after it cured. After the last coat I used 0000 steel wool with a paste wax. Am going to let sit another week and repolish with wax. Looks great so far.

fastbs

Many ways to do it. This is what I've done.
Use stripper to remove factory finish. Tooth brush helps in checkering.
Wet rag and iron will pull out small dents. Sand out other dings and reshape if u want.
Think I used 000 steel wool for final.
Clean with mineral spirits.
Dab rag in stain and rub it on. The more coats the darker and makes the grain pop.
Let dry however long can said then spray with 3 coats spar urathane.

DSCN2075.jpg

The gouges are on purpose on this one wanted a more rustic look. Used gloss spar cause it dries harder then final with satin spar to get a duller look.
2010-08-11191356.jpg

Try not to sand checkering you'll flatten it out.

FULLDRAWXX75

fastbs said:
Many ways to do it. This is what I've done.
Use stripper to remove factory finish. Tooth brush helps in checkering.
Wet rag and iron will pull out small dents. Sand out other dings and reshape if u want.
Think I used 000 steel wool for final.
Clean with mineral spirits.
Dab rag in stain and rub it on. The more coats the darker and makes the grain pop.
Let dry however long can said then spray with 3 coats spar urathane.

DSCN2075.jpg

The gouges are on purpose on this one wanted a more rustic look. Used gloss spar cause it dries harder then final with satin spar to get a duller look.
2010-08-11191356.jpg

Try not to sand checkering you'll flatten it out.

Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sand paper is the #1 culprit to ruining a gun stock.........Use stripper/finish remover as mentioned above.

Personally, I prefer a hand rubbed oil finish (tung oil) and if you want a high gloss shine, apply several layers of furniture wax and buff out.

Oil finishes are a natural product that actually soaks into the wood creating the sealing and protection into the wood itself, not just a top coat, it actually makes the wood harder and less likely to get scratches like urethanes and resin coatings.

Good luck on the project

FDXX75

woodchuckc

Here are a couple of my refinish jobs:

beretta686_3.jpg

percussion_1.jpg

As advised above, use a stripper to get off the original finish instead of sanding. Sand the minimal amount you can to keep from altering the fit with the gun's hardware. If you have any dents you want to get out, raise them with a clothes iron and damp cloth (put the damp cloth over the dent and use the heat from the iron to make steam to raise the dent). If there is any checkering on the stock, don't sand over it except with the finest grit (320), I use a soft toothbrush to clean it out. Thinned Tru-oil is good, but these were finished with about 10 coats of Waterlox, rubbed in by hand (a couple of drops of oil applied, then rubbed in with my finger tips until the finish was just about dry).

FULLDRAWXX75

woodchuckc said:
Here are a couple of my refinish jobs:

beretta686_3.jpg

percussion_1.jpg

As advised above, use a stripper to get off the original finish instead of sanding. Sand the minimal amount you can to keep from altering the fit with the gun's hardware. If you have any dents you want to get out, raise them with a clothes iron and damp cloth (put the damp cloth over the dent and use the heat from the iron to make steam to raise the dent). If there is any checkering on the stock, don't sand over it except with the finest grit (320), I use a soft toothbrush to clean it out. Thinned Tru-oil is good, but these were finished with about 10 coats of Waterlox, rubbed in by hand (a couple of drops of oil applied, then rubbed in with my finger tips until the finish was just about dry).

Nice work, gotta love a nicely finished piece of wood on a gun.

FDXX75

Latest posts