Rain and muzzleloaders

bwgarrett3

With the forecast showing 90% rain for Friday I started thinking about keeping my muzzleloader/powder dry. So tell me, what do you do special to keep from having damp powder ruin your hunt??? :pop:

bwgarrett3

JeepKuntry":1hmcjuyn said:
Put a balloon over the end of the barrell.

And it blows off when you shoot without hindering the shot...correct??? I guess the electrical tape wouldn't change your shot either...

Dakota10

Some sporting goods stores carry a rubber sleeve that rolls down over the end of the barrel. I've always been able to keep the powder dry using those. One package has multiple sleeves. Sportsman 's Warehouse, Bass Pro and Cabela's usually stock them.

Hardwoodmaterials

When I was in high school I used to go pick up a bag of condoms from the health dept. They were free and me and my buddies rolled them over our muzzle loader and rifle barrels when it was raining or snowing. Just put a rubber band around them to hold them on. The women at the health dept. thought I was a stud until one finally asked what I was doing with so many condoms. When I told them they cracked up laughing and just gave me a paper bag full so I didn't have to keep coming back!

UTGrad

Hardwoodmaterials":33ua32ud said:
When I was in high school I used to go pick up a bag of condoms from the health dept. They were free and me and my buddies rolled them over our muzzle loader and rifle barrels when it was raining or snowing. Just put a rubber band around them to hold them on. The women at the health dept. thought I was a stud until one finally asked what I was doing with so many condoms. When I told them they cracked up laughing and just gave me a paper bag full so I didn't have to keep coming back!

Hahaha woo doggies

When you said you were picking them up I thought you meant they were used.

Headhunter

QUALITY electrical tape over the barrel. Actually ALL my guns have the barrel taped when I am deer hunting at all times. Electrical tape will NOT affect the shot at all and if you happen to stumble or whatever you will not get anything in the barrel.

dirtyhands

Headhunter":139qleth said:
QUALITY electrical tape over the barrel. Actually ALL my guns have the barrel taped when I am deer hunting at all times. Electrical tape will NOT affect the shot at all and if you happen to stumble or whatever you will not get anything in the barrel.

I dont own a muzzleloader but this is what I do with my 45-70. That's a big ole opening on the end of that rifle and I've slipped and fallen plenty of times before and would hate for something to have gotten into the barrel.

Tennessee Lead

Ive never worried about it but probably should.
Mine has always went boom. CVA has some barrel covers that look like well let's say balloons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwgarrett3

Tennessee Lead":1myp02jc said:
Ive never worried about it but probably should.
Mine has always went boom. CVA has some barrel covers that look like well let's say balloons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never worried about it either. I just always carry my gun with the barrel pointed down and the scope under my armpit when it's raining. I would hate to see the big buck I'm after and my gun not fire. There's always a first time for everything.

Latest posts