Quota hunts

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I got the AEDC Thanksgiving Hunt and have no idea how to hunt the place. It's been years since I have deer hunted the base. Plan on finding a thicket amd getting on the edge of It. Bucks should be in full rut then.
I have hunted it a ton and lucked out and gotten a few there. You have got a good plan. Watch the wind.

PickettSFHunter

I see a lot of folks posting Oak Ridge. Do any of you expect them to actually hold those hunts? Has that decision been officially made at this point?
Prior to the delta variant becoming such a problem, the decision makers were in favor of having the hunts. No one wants to see deer vehicle collisions increasing. Now that delta is widespread and controls have changed, who knows. I imagine it will be a decision made not long before the hunts and based on current conditions and controls.

Antler Daddy

Why do they even want to close it? I bet all the security guys and TWRA are vaccinated anyway.

I have never been. Is there that much close contact? Are they fingerprinting, searching vehicles and frisking you like they do at ft Campbell?

SamboWilly

Prentice Cooper September 18-20. Anybody had any good hunts there? It's big at 24k acre.! Doubt I'll have any time to scout in person. Here I come OnX!
Spent days and walked miles out there during turkey. I'd suggest a few scouting trips to learn the clearings and roads. I used onX also, worked great

Shanman

Why do they even want to close it? I bet all the security guys and TWRA are vaccinated anyway.

I have never been. Is there that much close contact? Are they fingerprinting, searching vehicles and frisking you like they do at ft Campbell?

Only when going through a portal into a secure area, the guard will take your driver's license look at it and then hand it back, take your permit and write your cell # on it and keep it until you pick it up when leaving the area. If they had you hold your driver's license and permit up for them to verify, then wrote your cell and permit # down, then there would be no contact. As PSFH has mentioned before these hunts are very expensive overtime hours, 6 figures per hunt? Correct me if I'm wrong Steven, seems like I've heard that number somewhere. Basically it's Federal and so no surprise to me if they get canceled.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Good luck. It's a weird place. Surprisingly little deer sign last season given the lack of pressure. Must've been a bad mast crop or something.
I also think some locals poach. There were plastic chairs and buckets all over the place on field edges.
Hope you find it more productive than I did—I scouted all day then decided it wasn't worth the 1 hour drive for me. Just have to find the pockets with decent sign.
I was thinking it looked weird with all the factories scattered around. I'm not sure how to approach it but I've been checking it out on OnX. Not sure I will get to so scout any, so I will use the first AM to check my points I found. If it proves to be a bust, i might head back home after day one.

Jdd65

I drew Prentice Cooper Sept 18-20 and Chuck Swan Oct 1-2. Don't know much about either. Gonna try to get out to Prentice in the next couple weeks to scout but mostly using OnX.

CJM1284

Drew Laurel Hill for Vet. Day & Thxgiving weekend. I wasn't able to put in for last years hunts, but hunted there in 17, 18, 19. Killed a nice 8 there in '18. Looking forward to being back this year, it is a beautiful WMA with quality deer.

kamml

I drew Yuchi for an early doe hunt this year. Drove over last Sunday, it is very thick near the roads. I was thinking that hunting the Knobs might be the best approach. Any other options or advice for this first-time Yuchi hunter.

CrossVolle

Prior to the delta variant becoming such a problem, the decision makers were in favor of having the hunts. No one wants to see deer vehicle collisions increasing. Now that delta is widespread and controls have changed, who knows. I imagine it will be a decision made not long before the hunts and based on current conditions and controls.
Don't worry, the govt will bring in the sharpshooters before someone BMW takes a lick. We can't have people catching covid from the abundance of oak trees around there :rolleyes:

CrossVolle

There's essentially 0 close contact. The closest you would come to someone would be the guard checking permits to go through the portal. Easily remedied if thats the issue. It's all a complete joke.

mike243

You us to couldn't go thru portals unless you worked there and had a badge, bow hunting may be different, when they are cking deer in is the only contact I have ever had , lot of spectators looking at what is brought in. 3-4 wardens trying to decide the age ect , the plant guys never came out they run the test and stayed in the building. was the first 1 1 year with a decent 6 pt, shot it at first legal light and a 2 minute field dressing and a 2 minute drag lol. 5 minute drive, took them 30 minutes to get the machine turned on and fired up . said they never had nobody get there that early lmao