question about freezing squash

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Does anyone on here have a mehtod of freezing squash so that it is suitable for frying when thawed out. My wife and I love fried squash but do not like it fixed in any other method.

Last year we were blessed with an overabundance of squash and we froze approximatley 200 bags of it. When we thawed some out and tried to fry it it turned out to be a watery, sloppy mess and not only looked bad but did not taste well at all.

So we ended up trashing all these bags of squash. Anyone successful with freezing squash so that it can still be fried?

fishboy1

My wife makes killer squash fritters.

Last year we fried them up, drained them on paper towels, sandwiched them between waxed paper, vacuum sealed and froze.

Pull em out of the freezer, put on baking sheet and cook/reheat until they get a little crispy.

They don't compare to fresh made but they are still good. A little greasy so I want to try refrigerating them before frying to cut down on the oil absorption

InfoMan

Just wash and cut the ends off. Slice the rest to the size you want and freeze. When ready to cook, thaw and coat in corn meal and fry away.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
2 ways work for me.Whenever we have the skillet hot and fry squash .I fry plenty of extra. Drain the oil and put it on a cookie sheet and in the freezer.We do the same thing with squash fritters. When we are ready to eat the sqauash put it in the oven at about 375* for 15 or twenty minites.

NBF7240

I cut squash into frying size and put the cornmeal on them. Then put on a pan in a way the squash isn't touching with wax paper in between the layers. Put in the freezer for a couple of hours. Take out, put in a bag and back in the freezer.

Latest posts