Question about Alabama

A

Anonymous

Alabama wildlife management by the state stinks! The state estimates all harvest and has no idea how many deer or turkey are taken. There is a reason southern middle Tn is covered up with Alabama tags on opening day

woodsman87

Meathunter said:
Alabama wildlife management by the state stinks! The state estimates all harvest and has no idea how many deer or turkey are taken. There is a reason southern middle Tn is covered up with Alabama tags on opening day

The reason is because Southern TN and north AL are no comparison in Turkey numbers. North AL has never had many turkeys, while southern TN has many. South AL has a differnt story though. The state of AL does estimate, but south AL is unreal in turkey numbers. More land without people = more animals.

BigCountry71

REN said:
I've hunted bama all my life (Macon county to be exact) and while the birds are numerous bama is HARD hunting. By far the hardest birds I've personally hunted and I've hunted more then a few states. Ms may be the hardest but bama ain't far behind.

First off I didn't go thru and read every post. But I will agree with Ren. These Alabama birds are harder to hunt than Tennessee birds. Don't know why but they are. Esp the mountain birds here. Also on thing that could play a affect on the number between Tennessee and Alabama birds is the fall seasons. In the counties I hunt in Tennessee the fall season you can kill 6 birds either sex?? Why a higher number than the spring? Turkeys have enough predators after them as it is. Plus you throw in the number that get killed during hay season while they are on nest and normal bush hogging. This is a big reason for numbers to fall. You throw all that together the loss of hens impact the numbers major.

JChunts

As a resident of Alabama who hunts both states i will weigh in my opinion. Alabama numbers are an estimate. I don't think it is in the 500,000 range i believe it is lower. We have no tagging system. They send a card at the end of the year and it is optional to fill it out. We are starting a tagging system in October similar to TN. As for the man who hunted the west Talladega national forest the WMA is covered up. We hunted there opening day not even scouting and had 8 birds gobbling in hearing distance and killing one of them. I havent hunted the eastern part of the state but I have hunted Monroe, Wilcox, Dallas, Bibb, Greene and several others counties on the Tombigbee river. Those places are loaded with birds. I would say wilcox has the most birds i've seen. I live in Cullman county and have no birds around the house, Morgan county doesn't even have an open season. I hunted north jefferson opening weekend calling a bird up that never gobbled. It is tuff to hunt down here because the birds hen up. By the time the hens go on nest evry tom, Richard, and harry has called at them so they are skidish. I will say me and my cousin left alabama to get a lease in Wayne county TN and I am glad we did. He hunted Wilcox and I hunted Dallas (prime alabama counties) we kill more birds up there than here in Alabama.

AT Hiker

According to the NWTF population map I posted, the bottom 1/3 of the state is the most dense.

I opted out of the WMA in Talladega because it closes around noon. The wildlife officer I spoke with stated it was one of the worse opening weekends he has heard as far as vocalization.

I enjoyed hunting it, already making plans to go back next year.

Latest posts