Article from Outdoor Alabama

Buzzard Breath

Alabama released a sort of summary of their past season. Here's a link to read the whole thing, but these couple statements really caught my attention.

- ""Back in the day, you hunted turkeys for the challenge," he said. "I'm not saying I didn't like killing turkeys, but it was different. I don't see that today. I'm not saying everybody. No matter what rules and regulations we put in place, no matter what science we come up with, we can't legislate or regulate morals and ethics. Rules and regs are only as good as people who abide by them.""

- ""I'm not saying all technology is bad. I'm using a .410 now that shoots better than 12 gauges that I hunted with for 25 years. You've got Thermacells and turkey loungers and lightweight guns. We've got to take into account that people are much more effective killers. If you throw out the illegal activities, just the legal hunting methods are making people much more effective killers, and I don't think people are giving that the attention it needs.""

scn

I think that article is spot on. IMO, the majority of turkey hunters today care very little, if any, about the long time traditions of turkey hunting. All most care about is killing their limit of grip and grins. If it were legal for them to line up two heads over a bait pile and finish their season with one shot, they would be bragging about that shot on Faceplant within the hour.

But, it isn't anything really new on morals and ethics. I saw similar 45 years ago when I helped our hatchery folks stock trout. When you have idiots dangling their corn in front of the net as you are dumping out the fish, there isn't much regard to "sport" fishing. More than once I considered just dumping them in a mud puddle and letting them fight over them there. The only thing most of that crowd cared about was "got my limit".

TheLBLman

But, it isn't anything really new on morals and ethics.
Don't disagree, but do think it's worse today than in times past.
Worse in some ways, maybe better in some others, but overall worse.
Just seems to me, as a percentage of those in the woods & on the water,
the true ethical (and legal) sportsmen are a smaller percentage than years ago.

Never mind that in all time past, we had some people as bad and worse than today's worse game & fish violators (both ethics & laws).

And more than ever seem not to understand that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical to sport.

Kelljp

Couldn't agree more. It's all about bragging rights in a public arena. The statement "more effective killers " nailed it, I'm as guilty as any with ammo and chokes that extend the killing range ( been trying to restrict my shooting distance to 40 yards max. Good article.

megalomaniac

Read the article... the thing that I find absolutely mind blowing is the hunter to harvest statistic cited....

According to the author based on available data, in the first 10 days of Alabama's season, 6325 hunters checked in 7845 turkeys!!!! AND they are estimating around 50% compliance with game check (which would mean over 15,000 turkeys actually killed)!!!!

You want to talk about efficiency and 'turkey killers'... well, those numbers support that argument more than anything. Turn today's turkey hunters loose on a population, and they can and WILL absolutely slaughter them. Poor birds don't even stand a chance.

And this is exactly why season should never open until the majority of hens have been bred at least once.

Gobble4me757

Read the article... the thing that I find absolutely mind blowing is the hunter to harvest statistic cited....

According to the author based on available data, in the first 10 days of Alabama's season, 6325 hunters checked in 7845 turkeys!!!! AND they are estimating around 50% compliance with game check (which would mean over 15,000 turkeys actually killed)!!!!

You want to talk about efficiency and 'turkey killers'... well, those numbers support that argument more than anything. Turn today's turkey hunters loose on a population, and they can and WILL absolutely slaughter them. Poor birds don't even stand a chance.

And this is exactly why season should never open until the majority of hens have been bred at least once.
Man in south bama they are breeding in February…that whole thing about waiting till they have been bred is garbage when it comes to season date openings

BPhunter

When your own government, politicians, and their voters, have a complete disregard for laws, rules, regulations.....it teaches the masses to do the same! It's the "if they can do it, I can do it" syndrome!
Disgusts me today!

megalomaniac

Man in south bama they are breeding in February…that whole thing about waiting till they have been bred is garbage when it comes to season date openings
Hmm, when are they breeding in North Alabama? I honestly don't know.

All I know for certain are the places I've lived with turkeys for over a decade. In south MS, they start breeding in earnest mid March (I wouldn't think south Alabama is much different). On my farms in middle TN, they don't start breeding in earnest until mid April.

Is it really possible turkeys in the US breed at different times?

Latest posts