QDMA?

Huntaholic

What happened to the QDMA? I know several years ago we had banquets, magazines, etc..... and I havent seen anything in years! Has it gone the way of the NAHC? I AM a life member of that one, since Im not dead yet and Ive got the leather jacket to prove it but that whole organization fell off the face of the Earth it seems!

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
What happened to the QDMA? I know several years ago we had banquets, magazines, etc..... and I havent seen anything in years! Has it gone the way of the NAHC? I AM a life member of that one, since Im not dead yet and Ive got the leather jacket to prove it but that whole organization fell off the face of the Earth it seems!
They moved away from being a trophy hunting group, or at least proceeded as one with the QDMA name. Studies had shown it was more looked at by most hunters as big money old white guys killing booners and not the guy that has 5 or 10 acres and is happy to kill a 2 y/o basket 8. They kept the logo when they merge with the National Deer Alliance about the time of COVID. It's 2 groups working as 1 to make it more about introducing new hunters and not be 100% about big bucks. Ask BSK said, they have changed over about 1/2 of the staff, sold the big QDMA building and the few hundreds of acres they had in GA. Everyone works from home. It was a large savings to the group by not having this building and land.

BSK

They moved away from being a trophy hunting group, or at least proceeded as one with the QDMA name. Studies had shown it was more looked at by most hunters as big money old white guys killing booners and not the guy that has 5 or 10 acres and is happy to kill a 2 y/o basket 8.
Exactly why I lost interest in them and stopped working with them.

...sold the big QDMA building and the few hundreds of acres they had in GA. Everyone works from home. It was a large savings to the group by not having this building and land.
Had no idea about this. Honestly, I think they're in deep trouble as an organization.

Huntaholic

The one banquet I went to, I didnt get that "old rich white guys buying booners" vibe. They had a good banquet, with good items to bid on, and nobody acted like they thought they were better than you.

useyourbow

QDMA was essential in the changing of minds when it came to doe harvest outside of that it was a common practice of only shooting older bigger bucks. The challenge any of these organizations face is the majority of deer hunters don't have access to equipment, acreage, or funds to fully implement their programs. Trigger finger is the most important part but when your neighbor lays them down the trigger finger doesn't work. Don't get me wrong I learned a lot from the organization.

BSK

The one banquet I went to, I didnt get that "old rich white guys buying booners" vibe. They had a good banquet, with good items to bid on, and nobody acted like they thought they were better than you.
I joined the QDMA way back in 1995, when they only had about 5,000 members. It eventually grew to 60,000+ members. I wrote for their magazine. I donated my time to give many, many presentations at QDMA meetings/banquets. They were an organization that promoted the passing of yearling and some 2 1/2 year-old bucks to advance the buck age structure, as well as the adequate harvest of does to control population density. Anyone can do that on their hunting property. They also provided good info on fairly simple habitat management techniques. Then all of sudden they began talking about passing up all bucks below maturity. Then they started talking about waiting until bucks are 5 1/2. Habitat management advice became geared to the big, BIG landowners. In my opinion, the big change occurred when they replaced the Board of Directors - that was originally made up of wildlife biologists - with owners of big hunting equipment companies. Once trophy hunter money became the focus of the organization (my opinion), I no longer had an interest in the organization. Hunters left the organization in droves.

fairchaser

One big obstacle for QDMA is CWD. The goals promoted by QDMA and QDM are diametrically opposed to the objectives of slowing the spread of CWD. At present CWD is spreading across the cervid world with no cure in sight.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
This was based on surveys done of the hunting community about what their perceptions of the QDMA was. I'm sure those at the banquets weren't like that. But those outside looking in did see that.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I joined the QDMA way back in 1995, when they only had about 5,000 members. It eventually grew to 60,000+ members. I wrote for their magazine. I donated my time to give many, many presentations at QDMA meetings/banquets. They were an organization that promoted the passing of yearling and some 2 1/2 year-old bucks to advance the buck age structure, as well as the adequate harvest of does to control population density. Anyone can do that on their hunting property. They also provided good info on fairly simple habitat management techniques. Then all of sudden they began talking about passing up all bucks below maturity. Then they started talking about waiting until bucks are 5 1/2. Habitat management advice became geared to the big, BIG landowners. In my opinion, the big change occurred when they replaced the Board of Directors - that was originally made up of wildlife biologists - with owners of big hunting equipment companies. Once trophy hunter money became the focus of the organization (my opinion), I no longer had an interest in the organization. Hunters left the organization in droves.
I joined as a reg member in '96 or '97, then became a life member 1999. I agree, the focus changed to bringing money in and being a big organization, like NWTF did. They forgot what their goals and objectives were when they started and it caused a lot of failure with the group. I think the new NDA setup is working ok but will never be what it was 15 years ago.

Latest posts