Pumpkins

Dodge Man

Anybody got any tips on growing pumpkins?

I have grown them many times and have had mixed results. I always have problems with pumpkin/squash bugs, dose anybody have a good way to get rid of them?
This year I had trouble with cucumber bugs on the pumpkins but I think I have that problem taken care of.

Do pumpkins respond good to lots of water or less? Whats good fertilizer for them once they get growing good?

wlf89

i planted a few but the hot dry weather has pretty much killed them and planted some later ones that seem to be doing ok but not if it dont rain some more on them. i usually have pretty good luck with them.

A

Anonymous

We always plant pumpkins at the first of July, we use 10-10-10 fertilizer. We have always had a very good crop of pumpkins and this year looks to be no different, biggest problem we have is with the deer eating them.

fishboy1

Squash borers have been a huge problem here this year. Lost 40% of our vining squash plants. Pumpkins/spaghetti/butternuts.

I am using a seven dust substitute that is mostly permetherin and supposedly less toxic and dusting the vine stems.

Once I did that, they quit attacking our squash but you have to reapply after watering/rain.

Squash beetles/bugs have been bad this year too. Same stuff works pretty good.

Dodge Man

I have lost a few squash to the borers this year but no pumpkins. I have been spraying a liquid seven about every 5 to 7 days on my pumpkins and the vines sure are growing link crazy. I can see some pumpkins here and there but the vines are so thick I can see much.

Dodge Man

Do you normally pick the pumpkins when they change color or wait till the vine dies to pick all the pumpkins?

I normally wait and pick them all at one time but I have some that are already orange and some still fully green so I am not sure if I should wait or pick the ones that have changed color now and leave the others to wait till the vine dies?

OldFart

Greets fm Co
You may know this anyway but pumpkins will ripen inside. With our relatively short growing season here, sometimes I have to pick them somewhat green. I've ripened them inside the house several times and it worked fine for pumpkin pie. They do ripen slowly though.
A Q. This year I only have two vines. I have had over a dozen blooms on each but only see one tiny little pumpkin under just one bloom. The bees have worked them well.
Thanks Ray

Dodge Man

All we planted this year is some small pie pumpkins and a lot of the small jack-be-little pumpkins for decorating. They did really good but I think they are about done because of all this dry weather. I have been watering them a lot but I have more now then I can give away so I guess I will quit watering them and just pick what I have now.

0830111745.jpg

0830111744.jpg

0830111743.jpg

0830111741.jpg

0830111739.jpg

Nimrod777

I've never planted pumpkins, but two volunteers started in the flower bed right in front of the house, and the vines looked so happy and vigorous, I let them be, without knowing what they even were. What the heck, they were better looking than the 3' high weedbed that occasionally is our landscaping.

So now we have these 2 pretty small-cantaloupe size pumpkins, and I'm gonna kill em off shortly because we're moving and really do need to weed the bed to take house to market. Guess I'll see just how hard-core they can ripen inside.

We had a TON of blossoms, but only the two fruit. Think I'll do it on purpose next year!

Latest posts