Pumpkin Blooms But NO Pumpkins

OldFart

I had p/o this on another thread but thought I'd try it here.
This year I only have two vines. I have had over a dozen blooms on each but only see one tiny little pumpkin under just one bloom. The bees have worked them well. Someone give me a biology lesson on how this is possible.
Thanks Ray

catman529

There are male and female flowers on all cucurbits (members of the pumpkin family). The female flowers always have the baby fruit at the base of the flower, but that fruit won't grow unless pollinated. The female flower needs pollen from the male, which a lot of insects will do or you can do it by hand.

If you only have one female and many male flowers, there might be a problem with the soil or growing conditions that is causing it not to produce fruit.

OldFart

I wound up with two pumpkins, one about a third bigger than a softball and the other the size of a golfball. However, the vines still had a few blooms until a freeze got them. The freeze didn't seem to bother the chard tho, I just picked a big sack of them and they are still healthy. A few squash still had
blooms just lately till freeze. A reminder, this is in Aurora, CO, a burb of Denver. Ray

Latest posts