Pulverized Lime

BSK

You can rent lime-spreader buggies, but they are pretty big (tough to get into out of the way plots). Other than that, you're looking more at spreading pelletized lime. Pulverized lime can't be spread with a normal seed spreader like pelletized lime can.

drrxnupe

Co-op has pelletized lime for $4 per 40lb bag. I'll probably go that route and spread with my 3pt spreader.

Is there a conversion between pulverized and pelletized in terms of weight? I didn't get a soil sample but I'm choosing to go ahead and lime because the ground has never been broken before (at least in the last 35 years). Most of the recommendations I see are roughly 1000lbs per acre. I'll be liming two 1/4 acre and one 3/4 acre plots.

BSK

About the same by weight. Although I've seen some suggest 80% pelletized to the recommended pulverized amount, but I've never heard a good reason why. If you could get 6-10 bags of pelletized in each 1/4 acre plot, it would make a HUGE difference. In fact, any amount of lime would probably make a noticeable difference. Best money you can spend in most areas of TN--more benefit than fertilizer. Unless your plots are in rich bottomland soils, if money is limited then pour everything you can afford into lime.

JCDEERMAN

drrxnupe said:
Co-op has pelletized lime for $4 per 40lb bag. I'll probably go that route and spread with my 3pt spreader.

Most of the recommendations I see are roughly 1000lbs per acre. I'll be liming two 1/4 acre and one 3/4 acre plots.

All the recommendations I have ever heard is 2000 lbs per acre. If you are just doing 1 1/2 acre tops, get it in the bags. At the price they gave you per bag, and my 2000 lbs per acre, that would put you at $300 for your 1 1/2 acres. That's steep though....we did our 15 acres last Easter for $1000, but that was in bulk (30 tons). If its hard to get to, IMO, your just going to have to pay the price. I thought our roads we plenty wide until I saw a big dump truck on them :D

tickweed

Most Co ops wont fool with small plots. They want you to buy tons if they spread it. Its hard to find anyone with a small spreader, and no, a three point spreader will pack up on you. much higher to go with pellets, but about only choice for most.

Greg .

BSK,

I think you either heard wrong information or got confused. The recommended rate of pelletized lime should be based on the neutralizing value of the lime and will probably be about 75 to 80% of that for average-quality bulk ag lime - not finely pulverized lime. For that, it would probably be the reverse, but it all depends on the quality (CCE) of the lime.

BSK

Greg . said:
BSK,

I think you either heard wrong information or got confused. The recommended rate of pelletized lime should be based on the neutralizing value of the lime and will probably be about 75 to 80% of that for average-quality bulk ag lime - not finely pulverized lime. For that, it would probably be the reverse, but it all depends on the quality (CCE) of the lime.

You may be right Greg. It may be the reverse.

bbuck14

Check google on the ratio of pelletized lime vs ag lime. I believe on most applications its a 1-10 ratio. In other words, if it takes 2000lbs of ag lime then it only take 200lbs of pelletized lime. Pelletized lime doesn't last as long and has to be applied more often then ag lime also. You can google ratio of ag lime vs pelletized lime and its alot of information on there about it.

SALTMAN

I finally broke down and after 2 years looking bought a used ground buster. Holds 1000 lbs . Works like a charm . Wish I had seen your post earlier. You can pull it behind your four wheeler depending on how big , how much you load it down . They just came out with one if I remember correctly holds 500 lbs. It was kinda pricey though!

Latest posts