Liquid lime and fertilizer question

volsfan1976

So I have a area probably about .25-.5 acre in a remote spot that I have been working on to open up the canopy and get some sun on. I blew all the leaves off down to the dirt. Hoping to get some natural growth growing. I did most of the work in the area back in March-April. Not seeing much of anything going on in this area as opposed to other areas I did the same to. It's about a half mile walk to get to. No other way in. Curious if you all though maybe spraying with liquid lime and liquid fertilizer would be worth doing. It's just too far trying to carry bags of fertilizer and lime over rough terrain. I think it's getting more sun than it was and in July I hack n squirted a bunch so it's only gonna get more I think but didn't know if the lime and fertilizer would help the natural browse. Thanks.

volsfan1976

Ok great. Thanks. I cleaned out an old roadbed in March down to the dirt. Probably a third to a half mile long. Put out 200 pounds of pelitized lime. Was gonna try to plant something there. Went back in may and it was grown up about waist high in some places. Don't really know what all was growing but decided to leave it alone. Put a camera on it and have deer there all the time. So I lined a couple other spots and they have done pretty good too. Haven't fertilized any of them. Just pelitized lime. Wanted to get this spot as well but just too rough and too far to have to pack the bags in so was hoping the liquid lime would maybe be a help. Any suggestions on brand of the liquid lime? I have absolutely no idea about it

volsfan1976

Ok I may. Was gonna use a backpack sprayer but I guess I could always use a big back pack and put a bag in it. Easier to carry than on my shoulder which is all I need. That may work. Thanks

volsfan1976

Always lime first. Most soils aren't terribly infertile, they are just acidic. And when soils are acidic, the nutrients are bound to the soil particles. Neutralizing the soil releases those nutrients so that plants can utilize them.
Sounds good. That's what I will do. I will find some way to get the lime there. In the other couple areas I cleaned up some, lime is all I have done. And it really seemed to help. I did that because I though I remembered you talking about it in a post long ago. These places aren't food plots just openings trying to get some extra browse for them. I think I have also read you talking about it before but I have one little food plot and the 3 places that I kinda thinned out and I get a lot more pics from the 3 areas than I have been getting from the food plot. I'm sure that may change but it is interesting to see how much more frequent they are in these areas this year vs last year.

BSK

I think I have also read you talking about it before but I have one little food plot and the 3 places that I kinda thinned out and I get a lot more pics from the 3 areas than I have been getting from the food plot. I'm sure that may change but it is interesting to see how much more frequent they are in these areas this year vs last year.
Even in Iowa, with its endless agricultural fields, more than 50% of a deer's diet in summer will be weeds. In summer, deer are weed eaters. Now that changes during the fall and winter, but when available, deer prefer weeds over all other foods and that includes soybeans.

Johnathon

Check out deer gro plot start and plot boost. I've had great success with these for first time small plots

Attachments

• 500D13ED-63CF-4304-B6B8-F97074DCF32E.jpeg
    500D13ED-63CF-4304-B6B8-F97074DCF32E.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 73
  • A61331D6-B5E0-45F4-ADC6-BD2654CD639C.jpeg
    A61331D6-B5E0-45F4-ADC6-BD2654CD639C.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 77

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
If I had to pack in I believe I would try to go just before a rain and carry the water soluble mixes of 25 lbs of Calcium Nitrate and 25 lbs of Ultrasol 20-20-20 or Miller's 20-20-20 leaf stretcher.

Being water soluble they are rated at 15lbs per acre per 20-25 gallons of water. If you get the right rain you may give it a real boost.

You will need a hand spreader because it will spread about like the texture of brown sugar.
You can order these mixes from most co-ops or Deerfield Supplies will have them in stock if you are close to Elkton KY.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Thinking Calcium building for Lime sake I actually think you would be better to go in with 25lbs of Miller's calcium chelate instead of nitrate. It would probably give you more bang for your buck. It would be more of a shot of calcium and take effect pretty quick. It is water soluble as well.

Best to get it from Deerfield or you may can order directly from Miller.
Here is the link to Miller if you want to research.

DeerCamp

So I have a area probably about .25-.5 acre in a remote spot that I have been working on to open up the canopy and get some sun on. I blew all the leaves off down to the dirt. Hoping to get some natural growth growing. I did most of the work in the area back in March-April. Not seeing much of anything going on in this area as opposed to other areas I did the same to. It's about a half mile walk to get to. No other way in. Curious if you all though maybe spraying with liquid lime and liquid fertilizer would be worth doing. It's just too far trying to carry bags of fertilizer and lime over rough terrain. I think it's getting more sun than it was and in July I hack n squirted a bunch so it's only gonna get more I think but didn't know if the lime and fertilizer would help the natural browse. Thanks.
My only advice here is that you will want to make sure you have more sunlight than you first think you will need.

Sun gets low in the fall and growth can really stop quickly.

Definitely going to want lime if it is in the middle of the woods. Fertilizer is dependent, but can't hurt.