Sold/Expired Public Land

catman529

Was thinking, maybe some people would be into trading some of "their" spots on public land. I know a few myself. But I'm still learning the WMA, lots of acreage and not enough time. but I do know a couple of spots I could share. Deer, turkey, or just squirrels, heck I have even seen a covey of quail out there.

nate17

It would be pretty tough for me to trade a private land hunt for a public land hunt. Too many unknown variables involved in hunting public land.

Not trying to knock on ur idea cat, just being realistic.

catman529

Oh I don't mean trading private for public. I mean if 2 people have their honey holes they know on the same or separate WMAs then they can trade spots. It wouldn't be the same as private land at all. Would be good for people wanting to learn some new hunting ground on public land. Just a thought though.

nate17

im on track with u now

I def enjoy hunting with people (especially on those mile long walks in 20 degree weather) and dont mind sharing some of my spots, but be careful who you share information with on public land. The minute you start opening your mouth about a good deer on public land is when your spot becomes everyone elses spot. I learned this lesson the hard way unfortunately.

catman529

nate17 said:
im on track with u now

I def enjoy hunting with people (especially on those mile long walks in 20 degree weather) and dont mind sharing some of my spots, but be careful who you share information with on public land. The minute you start opening your mouth about a good deer on public land is when your spot becomes everyone elses spot. I learned this lesson the hard way unfortunately.
oh I know, there are some spots I would not show anyone, gotta be careful on public land. I dont hardly mention road names except to other people I know who hunt the same WMA. but a good spot to just sit and see some deer, or a place where turkeys often roost, could be worth sharing. Again this is all just speculation...

nate17

catman529 said:
nate17 said:
im on track with u now

oh I know, there are some spots I would not show anyone, gotta be careful on public land. I dont hardly mention road names except to other people I know who hunt the same WMA. but a good spot to just sit and see some deer, or a place where turkeys often roost, could be worth sharing. Again this is all just speculation...

Its happened to me twice now. One was a big deer I was on, and the other was one of my best shed hunting spots. Both people I considered to be friends and know well, both people have been in those spots and told other people about them thinking I didnt know they were there. Just a couple of hard lessons learned. I look at it like this, if i wouldnt hand em they keys to my house I wont tell em where my spots are.

Bone Collector

Cat this is a good idea in theory, but I too have been burned on giving up a spot and that person then turning around and telling someone else or bringing them with them to hunt.

I have some private land now and my brother owns some too, so I mainly just bow hunt Priest anymore, maybe one or two ML hunts.

I may be willing to show you spot or two if you'd do that at Yanahli. I've never been toYanahli and have often thought about going sometime.

catman529

Good points made, guess it is not such a good idea. I havent been burned (yet) so I wouldn't have known, but makes sense, even a decent person could slip up and tell the wrong guy about a good spot on public land.

Urban_Hunter

Could work. I would trade some good Turkey info on public land for some good crappie info on "public waters". The problem is going to be assigning a "value" to your information, and then hope that the info you are receiving is of the same quality. It sure would be easy for someone to pick a spot on a map and trade it for some of your hard earned work. For me it would have to be a "I take you, you take me" kind of deal.

catman529

Urban_Hunter said:
Could work. I would trade some good Turkey info on public land for some good crappie info on "public waters". The problem is going to be assigning a "value" to your information, and then hope that the info you are receiving is of the same quality. It sure would be easy for someone to pick a spot on a map and trade it for some of your hard earned work. For me it would have to be a "I take you, you take me" kind of deal.
yes it would involve meeting face to face and showing the lay of the land or even hunting together.... again it's all just a theory. I don't mind hunting with someone a few times during the season, I like the social aspect and the shared memories, but really prefer hunting alone most of the time. But if I were looking for some good spots on an unfamiliar WMA (I'm not at the moment) I could possibly share a couple spots I know of on a familiar WMA.

BirdDog123

I don't know much about the turkeys but Ridge Road in Cheatham WMA has some good bucks. I knwo a guy that popped a 10 and I saw a lot of rub lines in the bottom of the hollow where all the creeks meet. Once you go there you will know why its a hotspot. No one in their right mind would drag a deer out of there lol..

nate17

BirdDog123 said:
I don't know much about the turkeys but Ridge Road in Cheatham WMA has some good bucks. I knwo a guy that popped a 10 and I saw a lot of rub lines in the bottom of the hollow where all the creeks meet. Once you go there you will know why its a hotspot. No one in their right mind would drag a deer out of there lol..

I must be crazy because I would drag a 150" deer out of the grand canyon.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Catman, I would be glad to share a place I used to hunt at Natchez Trace which is public land. The fellows that used to go with me have stopped hunting and I could find no one to go with me. I am now 62 and have a bad heart so I probably will never hunt it again. The spot is about a one mile walk from the road and I always saw deer there. I could probably show you the place sometime this coming fall or try to get a map to you describing where it is.

Don't know how close you are to Natchez Trace but it was a six hour drive for me. I started hunting there because does were legal and we could not shoot them in our part of the state (I like to eat deer). Also that is the only place I have hunted where the deer travel in herds. I am not interested in a swap hunt but will be willing to show you where to hunt.

ImThere

I would enjoy a you take me i take you senerio. i enjoy hunting with others. I have hunted most wma's in mid tn and had had succes at most of them. Any bodywant to trade a early bow for a late gun? Or a turkey for some fishing? Just give me a shout.

catman529

GRAMPS said:
Catman, I would be glad to share a place I used to hunt at Natchez Trace which is public land. The fellows that used to go with me have stopped hunting and I could find no one to go with me. I am now 62 and have a bad heart so I probably will never hunt it again. The spot is about a one mile walk from the road and I always saw deer there. I could probably show you the place sometime this coming fall or try to get a map to you describing where it is.

Don't know how close you are to Natchez Trace but it was a six hour drive for me. I started hunting there because does were legal and we could not shoot them in our part of the state (I like to eat deer). Also that is the only place I have hunted where the deer travel in herds. I am not interested in a swap hunt but will be willing to show you where to hunt.
that's a nice offer. I'm a good drive from Natchez trace but not near as far as you are. If you are ever good enough to walk the distance into your spot, I'd be glad to go along so you aren't hunting alone. Sounds like a good honey hole.

Bone Collector

ImThere said:
I would enjoy a you take me i take you senerio. i enjoy hunting with others. I have hunted most wma's in mid tn and had had succes at most of them. Any bodywant to trade a early bow for a late gun? Or a turkey for some fishing? Just give me a shout.

Priest is good for Early bow, but not generally for late gun. You guys on Yanahli seem to see deer up till the end of season. I would be willing to do something like that.

ImThere

Bone Collector said:
ImThere said:

Priest is good for Early bow, but not generally for late gun. You guys on Yanahli seem to see deer up till the end of season. I would be willing to do something like that.
Just let me know when your ready! You know i am.

Latest posts