Probably gonna get raked over the coals

Snake

I've had enough spots to myself on public land that I would never fool with the BS of leasing land only to claim spots among other lease members. With public land you go learn the property and figure out where the deer are and the people aren't and don't worry about anyone else, if someone walks in on you, then you can either sit it out, or go find another spot. 1600 acres is a good chunk of land, but I hunted on public property adding up to maybe 40k acres (rough guess) across middle TN this past season, and it ranged from hunters walking all over me to nobody within a mile. And I didn't even touch 1/4 of the acreage available in the places I hunted. And I didn't even touch 1/4 of the public properties within a 2 hour drive. I'd rather deal with the public land BS than pay an annual fee to lease the BS on much less acreage. And I did hunt private property as well, but not leased, only managed to kill one doe on private this year.
You hunt middle Tennessee were deer populations are much better than here in the eastern part of the state so when you find good sign you will not be the only booger in the area . There are hunters here in the east that have great success hunting public lands but mature animals are not the norm . If you know of a decent buck in an area and have a chance at him it would be best not to give him another year . Some hunters use TVA lands only accessible by boat for unusually good success because not everyone wants to navigate the water before dawn , me being one of them although I have. I have the luxury of private land use now that joins my property but a couple other people hunt it as well so trophy hunting may not be a a given on this property where as it is on mine but a trophy in my mind is a decent buck :)

Last edited:

ImThere

I've had enough spots to myself on public land that I would never fool with the BS of leasing land only to claim spots among other lease members. With public land you go learn the property and figure out where the deer are and the people aren't and don't worry about anyone else, if someone walks in on you, then you can either sit it out, or go find another spot. 1600 acres is a good chunk of land, but I hunted on public property adding up to maybe 40k acres (rough guess) across middle TN this past season, and it ranged from hunters walking all over me to nobody within a mile. And I didn't even touch 1/4 of the acreage available in the places I hunted. And I didn't even touch 1/4 of the public properties within a 2 hour drive. I'd rather deal with the public land BS than pay an annual fee to lease the BS on much less acreage. And I did hunt private property as well, but not leased, only managed to kill one doe on private this year.
Why would you tell people this???
public land is horrible. You might as well carry a buddy stand everywhere you go! 😂😂

Safari Hunt

In my opinion, if you leave something in the woods and you don't have permission to do so, you just littered. Every year, I carry half a dozen old torn up blinds out of the woods and drop off at the convenience center on my way home. I probably carry out twice as many torn up chairs. Our WMA's are trashed up enough as it is. Just drive down the roads in Yanahli and look at all the junk. I usually fill up a trash bag at the access every time I'm there.
This was a photo I used for a TV station article. It was taken at the entrance to a WMA. This year, it was a double recliner. Couldn't figure how to get it into my ground blind.

Attachments

• IMG_2306 (1).JPG
    IMG_2306 (1).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 96

Shanman

In my opinion, if you leave something in the woods and you don't have permission to do so, you just littered. Every year, I carry half a dozen old torn up blinds out of the woods and drop off at the convenience center on my way home. I probably carry out twice as many torn up chairs. Our WMA's are trashed up enough as it is. Just drive down the roads in Yanahli and look at all the junk. I usually fill up a trash bag at the access every time I'm there.
Once season is over, I did say over not during, I usually fill up my cargo pockets with survey ribbon. Blows my mind people need a piece of ribbon every 15yds to find there way in 200yds. I know some do this for friends that can't scout, but it should be removed by someone when they are done. Probably my biggest pet peeve on public.
As far as stands left, doesn't bother me that much. I've had ladder stands on public when that's the only place I had to hunt, but they were all in places most guys won't walk back to. Problem is, you just put them on your spot and they have the right to it if they beat you in. I personally won't hunt anothers stand or blind, not even on our lease, I walk on and find another spot. Like Cat said, you know where they are likely to be if in the area.

Tenntrapper

I'm sure this is one of those "it's what you grew up doing" kind of issues, but I tend to agree that you shouldn't be leaving stands in the woods all season. I don't hunt out of other people's stands or call the TWRA or anything, though...

I did have some guys walk up on me while I was sitting at the base of a tree this year. They mentioned that they owned the property adjacent to the public where I was hunting. They seemed pretty shocked to see me for some reason. Said something about looking for stands. I'm not sure what they meant by that but it seemed a little shady if they were removing other people's stands. I know that 24 hours is the regulation, but how do you know for sure that they didn't get permission from the TWRA, or that they haven't come back to it within that 24 hour window?
Leaving your stuff IN the river doesn't count though.😁😁

Sorry, I had to..
Glad you weren't hurt, and got your stuff back.

bud stang

Best of my knowledge is that on a wma in tennessee you have to have your name, license no and I think a phone no on your stand and it has to be removed after the season is over. I leave my climber sometimes after the evening hunt with a python cable to the tree if i'm going to return the next day. I realize hunting on public that I don't have that spot locked up just because my stand is there.

scn

Best of my knowledge is that on a wma in tennessee you have to have your name, license no and I think a phone no on your stand and it has to be removed after the season is over. I leave my climber sometimes after the evening hunt with a python cable to the tree if i'm going to return the next day. I realize hunting on public that I don't have that spot locked up just because my stand is there.
Not correct for TN.

On a WMAs, if you leave ANY property unattended for more than 24 hours, you must have prior permission from the Area Manager.

Last edited:

ImThere

Most of this is not true.

scn

Rule and Regulation 1660-01-14-.13 (k) (2):

2. Leaving any vehicle or other personal property unattended for longer than 24 hours, without prior permission of the Area manager or other authorized person, is prohibited and any property so left may be impounded by the Area Manager or an authorized person, and may be disposed of according to state procedures. In the event unattended property interferes with a safe and orderly management of the area, it may be impounded at any time.

I knew it was somewhere, but, it took me a minute to find it.

41Magnum

I was actually shocked watching catman and THP as to how many treestands and blinds have actually been left unattended for obviously long periods of time, tobthe point where the stand is now embedded in the tree. I assumed that wasnt legal
I found 2 climbers this past year on the National Forest I hunt, both chained and locked in. They appeared that they haven't been hunted in in years as the paint is rusted over and the reason I believe that are still there is 1. Locked and chained in 2. it's very remote 3. it's a long way back to the truck to carry it out. I mostly hunt out of ground blinds made with limbs and logs and stretch a small camo tarp over the top to keep the rain off of me. It's very effective. I did have a climber stolen years ago in the same general area but it was close to the road and wasn't chained in. I'm not bothered by other hunters either as I like to get off the beaten path.

ronnycl

i agree and see the rule and regulations posted, but stands are left all over the woods! this regulation is not enfored in my opinion and it allows for a potential confrontation and the stand man to claim stake on a section of ground.

Bone Collector

So for those who leave there stands or blinds.
What would you do if you came in and another hunter is already in it?
Technically you can tell them to get down. According to the area manager at the WMA I hunt, the stand is not public property, because it is on public land and you do not have a right to hunt out of it.

He did also say, if I went into the area and climbed and someone came to get in a ladder stand they were supposed to leave. He also said, if I did get into someone's stand and they asked me to get down, to tell them, "OK, but I am hunting here off the ground and you need to move to another spot, because it is first come first serve."

edited to add....

I went into a small block of public land a while ago. Thought it would be over looked. Lots of sign. looked great until I found the lock on and two man ladder stand. Needless to say I never hunted it. I thought about it, but figured it is getting pressure so I wanted to go somewhere I wasn't 100% was.

Bone Collector

I personally would like to see the law changed such that no stand or blind can be left unattended at any time on public land. Pack it in, pack it out.
I used to feel this way, then I got older.... some places I hunt, its back in there. It is easier for me to take a ladder back in one trip (maybe with help) and lock it to the tree. then if I hunt that stand I can just walk to it. I generally only bow hunt public, so I am sure my stands have been used in ML and gun.

I have had one stolen so far. Cut the cable lock and moved it. Took me two years, but I found it. 100% due to certain personal markings (engravings) I put on it that it was my stand. only moved it 100 yds, but I hardly went in that direction. Hadn't been hunted out of in at least a year. Why steal it and not use it?? I took it back needless to say.

TNRidgeRider

In my opinion leaving stands should only be allowed on quota hunt weekends, especially juvenile. When I was young my dad would pack in our buddy stand for weekend juvenile hunts (usually on the Friday before), we always packed it out on Sunday afternoon. As soon as I was old enough to use a climber we started double climbing trees and removing them after every sit. There is a time and place where leaving the stand makes since, but most of the time I feel like it should be packed out, and the rules enforced.

Buzzard Breath

Live, as I found it, from Yanahl. The deer hunters chair, accompanied by the usual water bottle and candy wrappers.

Attachments

• 20210123_111648.jpg
    20210123_111648.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 92

Latest posts