pro bass anglers pay

WTM

we had a discussion a while back about this and one has pretty much validated what some of us talked about. young guys has some balls but two of his sponsors dropped him the next day.

miles bourghoff made a similar video a couple of weeks ago and he broke it down, he is in the hole $37k for the year. wow, interest only loan for a boat.

gotta be tough when joe blow nobody sports branded jerseys on youtube for free advertisements or on their "pro staff".

Spurhunter

His only BASS win was a college event that didn't pay anything. Discounting that he's had 5 top ten finishes in 38 tournaments. Maybe he isn't good enough to fish for a living. He's in a profession where you get paid strictly for performance. I got tired of the whining. Get better, catch more big fish, win more money, or accept the fact that you aren't good enough and get a job like the rest of us. I'd love to have a $100k boat and a $100k truck and travel the country fishing for a living, but I'm not good enough, so I go to work, earn a paycheck, and fish for fun. He's 25 years old and part of the entitled generation that thinks he should get paid big bucks to have fun doing what he loves. Some people are good enough to do that. Most of us go to work.

bluball

we had a discussion a while back about this and one has pretty much validated what some of us talked about. young guys has some balls but two of his sponsors dropped him the next day.

miles bourghoff made a similar video a couple of weeks ago and he broke it down, he is in the hole $37k for the year. wow, interest only loan for a boat.

gotta be tough when joe blow nobody sports branded jerseys on youtube for free advertisements or on their "pro staff".

If he's only getting $7000 a yr sponsorship money he's definitely not going to make it.I know guys that he says aren't professional bass fishermen making more than that from one sponsor.I know one professional bass guy that wanted $250,000 a yr or 20% of your company yo represent you.In sponsorship money it ain't all about wining either,it's about representing /helping sales.Definately don't batch about guiding, lots do it and set people's boats/electronics up on the water when not tournament fishing.We do electronics for some big bass guides clients,when we get everything installed they get paid to shake everything down on the water and adjust/set everything up.That guy has a lot to learn if he's gonna stay a professional bass fishermen.

WTM

If he's only getting $7000 a yr sponsorship money he's definitely not going to make it.I know guys that he says aren't professional bass fishermen making more than that from one sponsor.I know one professional bass guy that wanted $250,000 a yr or 20% of your company yo represent you.In sponsorship money it ain't all about wining either,it's about representing /helping sales.Definately don't batch about guiding, lots do it and set people's boats/electronics up on the water when not tournament fishing.We do electronics for some big bass guides clients,when we get everything installed they get paid to shake everything down on the water and adjust/set everything up.That guy has a lot to learn if he's gonna stay a professional bass fishermen.
hmm which pro?

bluball

hmm which pro?
Rater not say,don't think they want there personal business known.I have been fortunate to see some sponsor deals and hear the details about them.Heck one crappie pro got $10,000 for 5 tournaments and paid entry.The guy in the video needs some people skills forsure,that's how you get sponsor money.I would be in the same shape as him if I was a pro bass guy,I have no people skills either🤣🤣🤣

WTM

not the point i was trying to make but a blowhard gonna blowhard.

anyhoo, def not too shabby a fisherman to make the Classic as a rookie, couple of college championships, half dozen or so pheonix tourney wins, almost $200k in two or three years minus 2019. 68th in points. middle of the pack angler.

MY POINT is if BASS, MLF BPT are gonna call them pros in a sport then do like golf, tennis and all the other individual sports: waive their entry fees and let the sponsors and tv networks pick up the tab. otherwise just call it what it is an expensive arse hobby.

i remeber in 93 or 94 when my friend and coworker Mike won the BASS federation championship, i asked him did he pick up any sponsors before the Classic and he told me i had so many calls when i got back home i couldnt keep up with them (pre mobile phones for the youngsters)

WTM

Rater not say,don't think they want there personal business known.I have been fortunate to see some sponsor deals and hear the details about them.Heck one crappie pro got $10,000 for 5 tournaments and paid entry.The guy in the video needs some people skills forsure,that's how you get sponsor money.I would be in the same shape as him if I was a pro bass guy,I have no people skills either🤣🤣🤣
sure no problem ;)

TNReb

I like fishing. I like tournament fishing. Someone complaining about not making money at it isn't getting any sympathy from me. It's not a lucrative sport with a lot of money floating around like golf. It never will be.

WTM

I like fishing. I like tournament fishing. Someone complaining about not making money at it isn't getting any sympathy from me. It's not a lucrative sport with a lot of money floating around like golf. It never will be.
well, not any more. hasnt been since 2008. from 95 to about 2007 they actually made quite a bit of money, enough to qualify fishing as a "pro sport". to be honest thats when kvd, hackney, clunn, etc won the bulk of their earnings and you didnt have to "win" every tournament to make money plus the majors and elite 50 waived the entry fee.

now its just an expensive ass hobby or gambling and not a sport. the way it is now id say 90% of these guys are in the red at years end unless they own a lucrative business, wealthy or family bankrolls them.

bluball

I knew a guy that fished the pro circuit for a few years. I said I thought that would be a great job and he said he quit because it really took the fun out of fishing for him, when you had to produce to pay your bills.
We went to timmy hortons place foe a dealer show last month,willowoak lodge.We got to hang out with timmy and his family for 3 days.His wife was telling us they were on the road and traveling for almost 60 days straight.She said she went home 4 times,but only slept at home one night out of the 4 times.She said they stayed on the road and it would wear you out.

Kirk

I know Jacob Foutz. He fished in a lot of the upper Chickamauga lake tournaments I used to run when he was in high school and college. Jacob is a good dude and is a little different. Sort of quiet and direct.

He would win one of my tournaments occasionally. He was fishing against some really skilled local Chickamauga competition. He wasn't a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination.

In contrast, Michael Neal fished several of the dog fight tournaments I ran on Fridays out of the lower lake at Harrison Bay. Michael as a high school kid was winning a lot. He was super consistent. He was fishing against a lot excellent competition.

TNReb

We went to timmy hortons place foe a dealer show last month,willowoak lodge.We got to hang out with timmy and his family for 3 days.His wife was telling us they were on the road and traveling for almost 60 days straight.She said she went home 4 times,but only slept at home one night out of the 4 times.She said they stayed on the road and it would wear you out.
Timmy Horton has (or had) a duck hunting place in northwest TN, right next to my cousin's place. He said "I met some guy named Timmy Horton today. Said he fishes. Heard of him?" haha.. yep

bluball

Timmy Horton has (or had) a duck hunting place in northwest TN, right next to my cousin's place. He said "I met some guy named Timmy Horton today. Said he fishes. Heard of him?" haha.. yep
It was a cool experience to spend 3 days at his place.We could fish the crappie pond,shoot skeet,nature tours,corn hole etc.They fed us everyday and got to hang out with his family,the dealer show was 5hrs one day only.Saw some big bucks since it's high fence and they do hunts there.I hope we get to go back next yr,was a lot of fun.

bluball

Right on brother! As you also said, get better or quit.

This is a big boy game. No participation trophies.
You don't have to get better to make it.You just need followers on social media and push product.There are some probably making it pretty good that way also.

mike52

One of the best PRO FISHING Person that I met that was fishing the FLW Everstart Series was Andy Morgan from Dayton Tn . Fishing LAKE Okeechobee Fl in 2003. He won the tounament to start his great fishing career, and as far as I can get info , he has won almost $3 million in earnings. Great guy and his friend Russ Moran. Funy story, my friend and I were at Lightseys resturant in Okeechobee when Moran came storming in, He knew my buddy from fishing Priest, and " Yelled to Yates my buddy, " You know of any place we can stay ? The house we rented doesn't have any rats because the snakes have eaten then all ? Just so happened that we were friends of some locals and set up their stay there

Latest posts