Prince Of Wales Coatal Black Bear

tickweed

Took a really nice costal black bear hunting out of Ketchikan, Alaska this past week, on Prince of Wales Island. 7 1/2 footer, skull greens scores 20 1/2. Should make Boone & Crockett honorable mention.. Pushing 450 lbs. Great hunt. Lots rainy weather.

Attachments

• IMG_9054.jpg
    IMG_9054.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 10

Buzzard Breath

Congrats. That is awesome. This is on my short list of "to do's". Did you go outfitted, boat based, stay at lodge and use truck? When you get a chance, could you post some details. Thanks in advance.

If unguided, how long did it take to draw the tags?

On a separate note, I wouldn't mind knowing a little about that gun.

Last edited:

tickweed

Little pricey for me. Air, tag, guide, pushing 8000. Can do prob much cheaper, lve bear hunted all over, but wanted a really good black. 17th bear l looked at. Saw some dandys, many already rubbed up bad.l wanted at least a 7 1/2 footer, good hide, big skull. Killed this one the third evening. We ran some crab pots, l ate so many l thought ld die. Lol. Beautiful country. Vast
Prince of Wells have best genetics, biggest blacks anywhere. Lots Booners.

tickweed

Congrats. That is awesome. This is on my short list of "to do's". Did you go outfitted, boat based, stay at lodge and use truck? When you get a chance, could you post some details. Thanks in advance.

If unguided, how long did it take to draw the tags?

On a separate note, I wouldn't mind knowing a little about that gun.
I hired Sam Dailin in Ketchikan , a fishing, bear, goat guide. Over the counter tags, about 650.00 with hunting, fishing license. He has a bigger fishing boat with cabin, we had a 42 mile boat ride, set up camp , then hunted from a flatbottom. Lots miles in a boat. Glassing beaches, grass flats. Ran crab pots. I was only one in camp last week, now booked every week thru june. Unbelievable guide, and services. He has a first class B&B you stay in0 when arriving, leaving. Number one ruger 7mmag single shot . 160 nosler partitions. 168 yds. Broadside, tucked behind shoulder, ran 70 yds. If any one ever wants to hunt a big black, bow or rifle, he is absoulty the best. Im sure a do it yourself will work, many do, but he hunts areas so far, in pressured most couldnt do in a rented boat. Very BIG. Dangerous waters.

Last edited:

tellico4x4

Very BIG. Dangerous waters.
Yes sir!
Grandson & I were moving from one bay to another to glass & had a pod of whales come up within 50 yards of us. Kaleb was laying in bottom of boat snoozing & I kicked him to wake so he could see them. Told him he better get up & pray that one doesn't come up under us. BTW, we were in a 16' Lund with a 25hp kicker 🤣🤣.
Congratulations on a great bear!

tickweed

Yes sir!
Grandson & I were moving from one bay to another to glass & had a pod of whales come up within 50 yards of us. Kaleb was laying in bottom of boat snoozing & I kicked him to wake so he could see them. Told him he better get up & pray that one doesn't come up under us. BTW, we were in a 16' Lund with a 25hp kicker 🤣🤣.
Congratulations on a great bear!
Yes, saw sev whales. We ran 16/48s, with 40 tillers