Primer Problems(I think).

4onaside

Does anyone still use #11 pcaps? This afternoon I fired the first two shots at paper without problems. However, I then started experiencing misfires(the first that I have ever had with an inline gun). I was using Remington #11 caps which are 3 or 4 years old, and the green insert(primer) appeared to be separating from the cap and clogging the nipple after the bolt fell. I cleaned out the nipple from the outside, and it appeared to separate and the green appeared to be in the hole again, on subsequent "shots". Also, this is the first batch of 777(fffg) loose that I have ever used, but I can't imagine that being the problem since the first two shots went off as expected. However, I know that it is much finer than Pyrodex which I have used before, so I wonder. I have a 209 breech plug and bolt for the gun(Knight Wolverine) which I plan to try thursday. However, I tried it last year, and it was fine except that the primers seated in the hole very hard, and were hard to extract when fired. Anybody ever experience any similar problems?

mike243

yep on my old inline i let a buddy use he snapped 2 caps & no bang,i had shot it a couple of times before the hunt & did not run a nipple pick thru it :( my bad wont happen again,i use to use the german (red) caps & they seemed to be hotter but havent seen any for awhile,mike243

vonb

I too have had this exact problem you speak of. I have attributed it to the caps being old and possible being in an area where moisture was prevalent. Try buying some new caps...It might not be a bad idea to change the nipple if it's in doubt as well.

4onaside

Into the garbage with the old caps, off to the store for some fresh ones, then a thorough cleaning of the gun, and off to the bench Thursday. If the problem persists, I'll convert to the 209's, although the fit of the primer into my breach plug makes the rifle a single shot in the strictest sense of the word! One shot and done, because you can't get the spent primer out of the hole, or certainly not before the shot at deer is long gone!! LOL

4onaside

Is anyone familiar with the term, "Incredibly stupid!"? I keep my premeasured field charges in 5 little plastic tubes. Today, I got them out to refill the three that I had used the other day, 2 fired and one in the gun that was the subject of this post. I count empties, one, two..........I only have two empties which means that charge number three never went into the gun, I seated the sabot/bullet but there was no charge underneath it, which is why the green primers clogged the nipple, because they had no place to go when the bolt fell! I've found that MZLRS are very hard to fire without powder. I suppose that I'm not yet totally senile, because when I do something dumb, I am usually aware of it, after the fact. Thanks for your indulgence, and suggestions of how to solve my "primer" problems. At any rate, I doubt if this mistake will ever be made by me again. Others, but not this one.

Latest posts