Primer sticking in smokeless muzzleloader

NChunt1

Been shooting my smokeless conversion that I bought here off the classifieds, it's a cva apex that was converted by slufoot with a savage 209 breach plug . I have been having a hard time getting the primer out when I shot it still did them same after I cleaned the breach plug. Any ideas ?

jlanecr500

I've had several that used the savage plug and still have 1. On all of them, I use a primer extractor tool in the below link.
Beyond that, is your ventliner eroded beyond .040" ? If so, it could be swelling the primer cup due to overpressure. Also, if your plug is built up with carbon, the same thing can happen. Clean the inside of the plug from the primer end with a 5/32" drill bit. BTW, Winchester 209's seal the best.

Amazon product ASIN B0013RD6LE

NChunt1

I just put a new vent liner in and cleaned it very well. I was just didn't know if it was the norm as I have never had any experience with a savage plug

jlanecr500

Smokeless loads need a snug fitting primer to prevent leakage. I carry one of those tools, along with 3 to 4 reloads in a butt stock pouch on my single shot conversion.

Latest posts