Pressed Coffee

TX300mag

I bought my wife a 50oz Secura coffee press for her birthday in March. She has a 30 Kuissential that she loves-makes perfect coffee every time.

The 50oz seems to make bitter coffee every time. The first couple of cups are good, after that the remainder of the pot is bitter. She's not new to pressed coffee (this is her third press), but I'm wondering what the catch is? She thinks the rod above the filter is too short. She e-mailed the company and they said that the shorter rod is part of the design. Anyone else have one and experience similar coffee? What is your method? She lets it sit for one minute, stirs, then sits two more minutes. Water temp is 180 as I really don't like bitter coffee.

TX300mag

Yes, that's the benefit of the double-walled vacuum insulated large capacity-at least I thought.

The 30oz is good for a few hours without any bitterness. Is the additional space below the filter in the larger press enough to allow the coffee to continue steeping?

The only other comment I've read in the reviews from other users is a metallic taste. Is it possible I'm mistaking a metallic taste for bitterness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX300mag

OK, rethinking the cause now. I went to say 190 above, not 180.

I dropped down to between 175 and 180 today. I poured it off not a SECOND after 3 minutes of steep. Still has the bitter taste, although maybe not as pronounced.

My first cup every day gets Kerrygold, coconut oil, collagen, and heavy cream. I think the butter and cream were disguising the taste somewhat and the remaining cups were much more noticeable. I when I go to work I take a heavy Thermos that keeps for several hours, so even without sitting in the press it gets bitter.

Buzzard Breath

Good thread.

I grind my beans each morning but always use a drip brewer. My wife has a French press she never uses. I may have to break it out and try it.

Woodchuck

TX300mag":2d0niw8b said:
OK, rethinking the cause now. I went to say 190 above, not 180.

I dropped down to between 175 and 180 today. I poured it off not a SECOND after 3 minutes of steep. Still has the bitter taste, although maybe not as pronounced.

My first cup every day gets Kerrygold, coconut oil, collagen, and heavy cream. I think the butter and cream were disguising the taste somewhat and the remaining cups were much more noticeable. I when I go to work I take a heavy Thermos that keeps for several hours, so even without sitting in the press it gets bitter.

I've never heard of putting all that in a cup of coffee. Any reason other than taste?

TX300mag

Health benefits of healthy fats and collagen mainly. Search "bulletproof coffee" and you'll find all kinds of info

The collagen is tasteless. The coconut oil affects texture more than taste, unsalted grass-fed butter does taste great, though. It's very filling. I get most of my energy from fats, and this is very satisfying. I drink it early and then eat a really late breakfast or eat breakfast for lunch.

DaveB

No kidding.

I would never, literally never, have thought of putting butter in my coffee. I was tempted this morning but chickened out. I like my coffee black is my excuse.

TraumaSlave

Fresh roasted beans make a world of difference. I have to throw a shout out for Vienna Coffee House in Maryville. My wife would murder me if she didn't get her "coffee pillow" (5lb bag) for Xmas every year.

Loose the paper filters if use a drip and go with mesh. Paper absorbs the oils that are the flavor of good coffee.

TX300mag

There's a coffee shop a few miles from me that roasts his own beans there in the shop and only serves French press coffee. And it's still cheaper than Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk