Powerbelt horror stories

Headhunter

Killed a couple with the regular powerbelts. Did not like them. Started using the platinums (45 caliber) they are great. All of them passed completely through and have killed several deer with them with 3 deer being at a good distance, a 140 lb 8 pointer at 160 yards, an 80 lb doe at 194 yards, and a 9 pointer that dressed 157 lbs at 130 yards. They are great.

Boone 58

Wow headhunter that is some success story! Did you use 777 pellets,or powder or pyrodex etc.......Glad to hear someone has had a great time with them. i killed two does with those 50 cal powerbelts myself but when i went to reload i had one of the older pb's in there and i decided to use it for experimentation.....little did i know the next experiment would be before a 150+ class buck........Mostly my fault but i wonder about the performance of those bullets.

Headhunter

Camoman270, I did not like the regular powerbelts at all. They seemed to be very unstable. The platinums are awesome. They seem to perform at any range and are accurate. I shoot 3 pellets of 50 gr. each.

BlackBelt

Man am I glad I found this thread. I've been using .50 caliber PowerBelt 295gr bullets, with 100gr Triple7 pellets out of my CVA Optima Pro 209. Every deer that I've shot with that combination has dropped within 30 feet of where I shot it. I have NEVER had a pass-through with a PowerBelt, so I'm glad that they dropped close by.
Every deer that I've shot with a PowerBelt has looked like a blender had been used on it's internal organs. I also have to be very careful when field dressing them because there are always sharp jagged pieces of bullet inside the carcass that will cut upon contact.
My problem with the PowerBelts is simply that at ranges over 100yds my shot groupings start to really wander around, and that's shooting off of a rest at the range. For a long time I thought it was just my shooting. However, after trying different bullets I figured out that the PowerBelt was destabilizing in flight.
Fortunately, where I hunt, it would be rare to be able to see or shoot at a deer 100 yards away because there is so much foliage. 99.9% of shots I take are going to be 60 yds and under (mostly under), and the groups are fine for that range.

Headhunter

My gun is very light, and it does pack a thump. Hardest kicking gun I have ever shot, but I will not hesitate to pull the trigger out to 250 yards. Should make 300 but have not tried it. My brother shoots a CVA also, 45 caliber with the same load, but his gun is heavier and does not kick anywhere near as bad. Look at this website http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/ they are shooting 200 grains of pyrodex. Wonder how far back that will knock you?

iowavf

Headhunter what size of bullet are you using, 223 or 300? That's the only 2 calibers of 45 platinums I've seen around here. I also use 3 777 pellets in my encore with the 223 platinum. Close groups at 100 and 200 yards with very little drop. I'll have to go to my dads and try a few shots at 250 yards to see what happens, might try a few at 300 just for fun.

ohio state

had a horn 250 sst blow up last year. shot the doe about 20 yards found a few pcs of the bullet if i' can find the pic i' will post them.. looking cannot not find them got them post at www.modern muzzleloader.com .. the horn xtp has been a good bullet killed 2 4 pointers and a doe with them.. all 3 is with a t.c encore 209 50 handgun.. thanks WORM

square

I see several of you talking about the shockwaves. I used them last year with poor results. They definitely pass through, but they don't seem to expand at all. They do group well on paper. I'm going to try the Hornady SST's this year. Does anyone have experience with them?

Stalker

square said:
I see several of you talking about the shockwaves. I used them last year with poor results. They definitely pass through, but they don't seem to expand at all. They do group well on paper. I'm going to try the Hornady SST's this year. Does anyone have experience with them?

Find DA's post with the picture of a doe on sst's!!!
Nothing but amazing...

Stalker

I found it for ya! Look at the wound cavity...WOW!

DEER ASSASSIN said:
DEER ASSASSIN said:
300 gn hndy sst
105 loose 777 1709 fps
60 yds shot droppen in tracks

101_1094.jpg

Winchester

Dont take much to blow a hole in a 40 lb deer. Shoot a 200 lb buck in the shoulder and the results will be much different.

oakclimber

hey guys, this is my first post. i use pb 295gr.hollowpoints. i have shot plenty of deer with them and have had pretty good luck,but i have noticed that some dont bleed and the majority have no pass through. i have been wondering why and had no idea about the pb's until i came across this site. i have lost only 1 deer (6pt)only to find hair and no blood. i searched and searched but unfortuntaly couldnt find him. only problem is i have already sited in my muzzleloader with the pb's. guess i will stick this year out with them and try some others next year.

Latest posts