Powder Valley Post on FB Today

Hunter 257W

I thought those boxes with the messed up numbers or letters that you have to type in when you order was how they fought these bots or the chopped up photos where you have to tell how many have a picture of a car? But if they can beat these goobers by forcing everybody to buy a $2.95 koozie then I'm all for that. They do need to work double hard to insure the koozies aren't out of stock though. :)

casjoker

I deal with the "public" a lot and have for about 25 years. The level of hate, disrespect, and sense of entitlement some of these people exhibit is truly delusional. With the advent of email and social media, it has gotten much worse in the last 10 years.

I will gladly pay $3 for a widget to combat gaming the system. I hope some of the other major websites start doing the same.

LanceS4803

I wish my rifle parts supplier would do something similar, coozie requirement. They told me today that they make 500 handguards a week, and despite reloading that page 4 to five times an hour, I have NEVER seen one listed.
But they are on gb at 2x-3x retail price, all the time.

Hunter 257W

PV latest post:

" Price Increases. Berger, Hodgdon, IMR, Ramshot, Accurate, Winchester powder have all announced price increases in the 5-10% range."
That's not unexpected every year just because of inflation. Never good to hear though but prices 5-10% above what they were before the chaos hit and stock that's available would look might good now.

Layne

I wish my rifle parts supplier would do something similar, coozie requirement. They told me today that they make 500 handguards a week, and despite reloading that page 4 to five times an hour, I have NEVER seen one listed.
But they are on gb at 2x-3x retail price, all the time.
Well you refreshing 4 to 5 times an hour just can't compete against the bots... they are refreshing 100's or 1000's of times faster than you... And there can be many bots competing against each other.
Not only do they buy them and triple the price but part of the deal is they have to continue to purchase the items from the supplier to prevent you from being able to purchase it at the lower price...
It has gotten to the point that individuals can rent bots to try and acquire items that are in high demand... all those bots competing against you and the refresh button is a no contest...

LanceS4803

Well you refreshing 4 to 5 times an hour just can't compete against the bots... they are refreshing 100's or 1000's of times faster than you... And there can be many bots competing against each other.
Not only do they buy them and triple the price but part of the deal is they have to continue to purchase the items from the supplier to prevent you from being able to purchase it at the lower price...
It has gotten to the point that individuals can rent bots to try and acquire items that are in high demand... all those bots competing against you and the refresh button is a no contest...
Is there a way to tell, externally, if bots are being used?
I would imagine the company IT folks can tell internally. Now if they are willing to do something about it is another thing.

backyardtndeer

I would imagine the company IT folks can tell internally. Now if they are willing to do something about it is another thing.
Don't know the answer to your question, but seems like when primers and powder come in on a couple different sites I have come close on, the site goes glitchy or goes down. The lady I talked with at grafs said she was surprised I got to the screen to confirm my order. Sure would have been nice to have secured that case of small rifle match primers.

Layne

They can be difficult to catch because a lot of times the bots are using different IP addresses for every ping and they look like residential IP's... These people who design these bots are very smart folks and continually counter security that companies deploy, there's BIG money in bots.
It's difficult for big companies and agencies with large security budgets to defend against them, smaller shops are gonna have a tough time combating them.

Layne

Don't know the answer to your question, but seems like when primers and powder come in on a couple different sites I have come close on, the site goes glitchy or goes down. The lady I talked with at grafs said she was surprised I got to the screen to confirm my order. Sure would have been nice to have secured that case of small rifle match primers.
Yeah they can hose up a company's system with the amount of traffic they put on their network and servers.

DaveB

They fell back after Sandy Hook and they will fall back again. The bots are legal but what PV does thwarts them for the moment. Hopefully the bot drivers will get caught with inventory at super high prices and will go belly up.

The secret is stop buying from GB or elsewhere except when in dire need and then watch your volume carefully.

Andy S.

Latest post from PV:

" CCI, Federal, Remington, Speer have announced an impending price increase of 7+% on all items and 15% on primers.
People ask me quite often why we make these announcements.
1) To keep people in front of the price increases so that they are able to hopefully able to purchase before the price goes up.
2) A lot of people say they're going to wait to purchase until the prices go back down.........
3) We feel we owe it to our customers to let them know in advance of a price increase."

Latest posts