Polish Cabbage Rolls

TAFKAP

I started the prep for these tonight. I'm not sure what got me craving something like this, but I haven't been able to shake it. Gonna make a bunch, eat some for dinner, and freeze a bunch more. I'm doubling the recipe, using 2 lbs. of beef for one batch, and making a second batch with 1 lb of ground venison (100% grind, no fat). Our pastor at church is a Polish priest, and he was the one that shot this deer, so I'm gonna take some to him. All the meat is mixed up tonight, and the heads of cabbage have already been par-boiled. All I lack now is the rice & the eggs. I'll mix those up tomorrow just before it's time to roll everything up. I'll post pictures of the process. It's hard to translate to English, but my high-school girlfriend's family was Polish, and they called these "go-womp-key", or "gwompkey", or something like that. Either way, they're delicious.

Ingredients
1 large head green cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion finely chopped
1 cup cooked white rice
1 egg slightly beaten
15 ounces tomato sauce divided
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce optional
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
15 ounces diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar

Instructions
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the head of cabbage and cook for 2-4 minutes or until softened. Drain, then carefully cut and remove the outer leaves. If necessary, add the inner head back into the water and cook for ad additional 2-3 minutes until most of the leaves are removable.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, mushrooms, onion, cooked rice, egg, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut a 'V' around the thick vein of ten of the sturdiest cabbage leaves and remove. Reserve 4 of the largest leftover leaves, then chop the remaining cabbage and place it in an even layer on the bottom of a large casserole dish.
Slightly overlap the cut ends of the prepared cabbage leaves to form a flat surface. Spoon a generous 1/4 cup of the beef mixture on top of the overlapped end, then tuck in the sides and roll up. Place seam side down on top of the bed of shredded cabbage. Repeat with remaining leaves.
In a separate bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine, taste, then season with salt and pepper as desired. Pour evenly over the cabbage rolls. Layer the large remaining cabbage leaves over the rolls and bake for 1 hours. Remove the top leaves (which will be pretty burned) and continue to bake for another 30 minutes, or until rolls are tender.

TAFKAP

Well, they turned out to be pretty good, and I got way too wrapped up in getting dinner on. However, there's a ton of meat leftover, and I think we'll be doing them again this week. Tonight, they needed more time. The cabbage was a little too crisp, and the rice needed to cook more. I mostly cooked the rice prior to mixing it in the meat, expecting it to absorb water and finish cooking in the oven....that didn't happen. Was trying to avoid rice paste in the meat.

Oh well. I liked the venison version a little more. I've got a Pyrex full of leftovers in the fridge, and will try to remember pics again.

Chiflyguy

Those sound good!
I've made homemade Golabki a lot.
The best we're my grandmas who live next door to Cook County Prison.
We'd go help, she'd have a few drinks, start singing then swearing in Polish and then dinner time.
Great grandma lived down stairs and never spoke a work of English.
Ever make homemade pierogi or Polish Sausage, not smoked.
Thanks for making me remember the good old days.

TAFKAP

I had plenty of leftovers. I may be having them again for dinner, so I'll get some pics then.

waterman

Chiflyguy":3lph7sd5 said:
Those sound good!
We'd go help, she'd have a few drinks, start singing then swearing in Polish and then dinner time.
would love to experience home made polish food. (not to hijack the thread)we cook pieroges from frozen section at krogers all the time. ordered some from millies. not bad.

Chiflyguy

waterman":fdpsv8az said:
Chiflyguy":fdpsv8az said:
Those sound good!
would love to experience home made polish food. (not to hijack the thread)we cook pieroges from frozen section at krogers all the time. ordered some from millies. not bad.

Pierogis are easy to make and better than frozen.
I don't know if you can find them down there but Kascias made here in Chicago are the best frozen.
One thing I am gonna miss when I move full time to Tennessee is my Polish brothers and sisters here.

Latest posts